Men's Basketball: Dragicevich to transfer, Broghammer will miss year

Irish coach Mike Brey confirmed reports Tuesday of the likely end of two Notre Dame careers.

Brey announced that sophomore guard Alex Dragicevich will transfer from Notre Dame at the end of the spring semester.

Dragicevich averaged 6.6 points and 20.9 minutes per game in the 2011-2012 season, which included 10 starts. The Northbrook, Ill., native saw his playing time dwindle as the season progressed, splitting time with versatile freshman forward Pat Connaughton.

With senior forward Scott Martin seeking another year of eligibility, the emergence of Connaughton and sophomore guard Jerian Grant and incoming recruit and Missouri Gatorade Player of the Year Cameron Biedscheid, Dragicevich's playing time did not appear to have bright prospects to increase next season.

"I am sorry to see Alex leave our basketball program, but I fully support his decision to transfer to another school," Brey said in a statement to the media. "Alex has been a terrific representative of our basketball program and always has conducted himself with a great deal of class. My staff, players and I, in addition to our entire Notre Dame basketball family, wish Alex nothing but the best as he continues his playing career at another institution."

Brey also confirmed junior forward Mike Broghammer will miss next season, presumably ending the big man's injury-plagued Irish career. The Minnesota native struggled to overcome multiple surgeries in both knees, aimed at relieving tendinitis, and is seeking a medical hardship - which would allow him to keep his scholarship and graduate while freeing up a scholarship for the team. Broghammer averaged 1.7 points per game over 24 games in the 2011-2012 season.