Things to Do in South Bend

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Luckily, Flat Top Grill is here to help you start a weekend morning off on the right foot. The Chicago-based chain offers a create-your-own omelet, pancake and French toast bar every Saturday and Sunday from 9 to 11 a.m.

Flat Top breakfast is a hidden gem of South Bend. Although 9 to 11 a.m. is early for a weekend morning, it is worth the early wake-up. The portions are generous, the ingredients are fresh and the service is warm and welcoming. And Flat Top really knows how to cater to their audience with their decorations. Murals of the dome and Irish Guard members decorate the walls.

Flat Top, for those who have never eaten at this fantastic restaurant, is an Asian-inspired, create-your-own stir-fry grill. You pick the ingredients in your stir-fry, from the meat to the vegetables to the sauce. The chefs then cook it up for you and serve it with delicious roti bread. You can go up as many times as you want for more food.

Breakfast at Flat Top is a similar affair. You choose from an omelet, egg-white omelet, scramble, French toast and pancakes. And then you choose your toppings. For example, you could make a scramble with spinach, black beans, sausage and tomatoes. Or top your pancakes with chocolate chips, strawberries and almonds. Gummy bears are also available for the very adventurous.

While Flat Top breakfast may just sound like a slightly classier version of dining hall brunch, it's much more than that. The options are more varied and the portions are larger. The omelets at Flat Top are bursting with cheese, meat, vegetables and anything else you want in it. The pancakes are the size of a large plate and deliciously fluffy. And Flat Top has strawberries every morning, not just select mornings before 8 a.m

Flat Top is also a great way to break a dining hall rut. While the dining hall is an easy option, it's even easier to get bored and lose interest in trying new things. In the dining hall, you usually make the same sandwich or get the same omelet for breakfast. Flat Top is a fun experience for you and your friends and a great way to experiment with your breakfast.

And the best part? Breakfast at Flat Top is unlimited. You can go up as many times as you want for more delicious eggs or fluffy pancakes. And if you don't eat all of it, you can take it home, free of charge. Usually, Flat Top charges extra for to-go boxes, but not for breakfast. So you can turn your breakfast into leftovers for lunch or breakfast the next day. You can't do that at the dining hall. 

So when you get back from spring break, put Flat Top breakfast on your weekend to-do list. Find a friend with a car and set your alarm a little earlier than usual. It will be worth it. A tip for those who choose the French toast option: Sprinkle a little brown sugar on it for a little extra sweet deliciousness.

The views in this column are those of the author and not necessarily those of The Observer.

Contact Mary Claire O'Donnell at modonne5@nd.edu