What do 1912, '97 and 2012 have in common?

My heart will go on and on.

Near, far - wherever you are, I believe you've all watched "Titanic" at least once, or so I hope. But are you as excited and ready as I am for Jack and Rose's love story to come back to the big screen next week in 3D? This is debatable.

I remember perfectly the first time I saw "Titanic." My cousins and I had a sleepover, watched it together and automatically fell in love with the movie's characters and epic plot. A boy and a girl from completely different social backgrounds falling in love and fighting to survive a tragic shipwreck - what else could a girl ask for?

After that first watch and finding out the movie was based on true events, I became a bit obsessed with "Titanic" - just a little. I wanted to find out more about the ship, its remains and survivors and how the movie was made. I also became a huge fan of Kate Winslet and wanted to marry Leonardo DiCaprio.

So after many years of gathering interesting and random facts about "Titanic," I will share some here with you in an attempt to remind everyone how amazing this movie is and how everyone should not miss this classic film in theaters next Thursday.

First released in 1997, "Titanic" tied the record for most Oscar wins. With 14 nominations it took home 11 Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Director. The movie shares this record with "Ben-Hur" (1959) and "Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" (2003).

Also, remember the portrait Jack drew of Rose in the film? James Cameron, the film's director, was the artist behind this sketch. The drawing symbolized the beginning of their romantic relationship.

Shifting to the historical event of the sinking of the RMS Titanic, its last survivor, Millvina Dean, died in 2009 at 97 years of age. Dean was a baby when she boarded the Titanic with her parents. She and her mother were among the 706 survivors of the accident.

Finally, the 3D remake of "Titanic" was set to be presented in theaters on April 4 to commemorate the centenary of the ship's tragic sinking in the North Atlantic Ocean waters April 15, 1912.

I hope these facts will intensify your love and appreciation for "Titanic" or lack thereof. I just know that no matter how many times I watch it, my heart will forever go on.

Contact Maria Fernandez at mfernan5@nd.edu

The views expressed in the Inside Column are those of the author and not necessarily those of The Observer.