Group considers price of single dorm rooms

In the last meeting before Easter break, Campus Life Council (CLC) members discussed the surcharge students pay for single rooms and the bike shop resolution.

Sr. Carrine Etheridge, rector of Farley Hall, said she recently became aware of the extra cost to students that opt to live in single rooms in residence halls.

"If there's a surcharge for singles, why isn't there one for air conditioned dorms, or brand new ones versus old ones?" she said. "Also, are the students aware of this, and are their parents?"

Many students only become aware of the surcharge when moving into a single after a study abroad program, Etheridge said.

"When they came back from overseas and got a single, they found out when they got the bill," she said.

Etheridge said the University should inform students of the extra cost, especially before room picks.

"If they're going to have it, it needs to be transparent," she said. "And if they're going to take that money, it should go back to the dorms for things like paint and carpet."

Pat McCormick, former student body president, said student government would consider if such a change could occur.

"It could become a resolution as well if we had more information, if there's an interest," he said. "That would definitely be something to look into."

McCormick said voting on the bike shop resolution was postponed again because not enough senators were present at CLC to allow a vote. He said the group would vote on the resolution within the next few weeks.

"We continue to look for every possible way of supporting the bike shop and were pleased the Student Senate passed a unanimous resolution in support of it last week," he said. "We hope the members of the CLC will also vote in favor of the resolution."

McCormick closed the meeting with congratulations to the new administration.

"I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge our new student body president, Brett Rocheleau," he said. "And thank you to everyone who worked hard on the efforts we made this year."