ND Softball: Irish hope to extend streak at home

After a 7-1 victory over Michigan State on Tuesday, the Irish will look to extend their six-game home winning streak with a doubleheader against Seton Hall on Wednesday.

The Irish bats came out of the gate early, scoring all seven of their runs in the first three innings. In the six-run third inning, senior infielder Dani Miller and sophomore outfielder Lauren Stuhr each hit two-run home runs to contribute to the stellar inning.

"There were so many people who did a really good job," assistant coach Kris Ganeff said. "I feel like we dominated them.

We scored six runs and got them on their heels. There were so many contributors and we just kept having good at bats. We were making things happen all game."

Miller set a record with her home run. It was the 10th of the season for the senior, making her the first player in Notre Dame history to hit double-digit home runs in all four of her years in an Irish uniform.

Other top performers included junior pitcher Brittany O'Donnell and freshman infielder Jenna Simon. O'Donnell threw a complete game and notched six strikeouts, while Simon hit an RBI triple in the third inning.

Ganeff said while Michigan State (11-34) is typically a tough competitor, the Irish (27-13) were able to shut the Spartans' bats down early.

"They came out and were taking hacks offensively," Ganeff said. "They were trying to put things together, but we really just got them out once we scored those six runs. They were always playing catch-up after that."

Overall, the Irish clocked eight hits and only committed one error.

Notre Dame will look to continue its winning streak Wednesday with a doubleheader against Seton Hall (20-25).

"They're a middle-of-the-pack team in the Big East," Ganeff said. "They're one of those programs that if you go in with the attitude that you're going to beat them, that's when they beat [you]. Defensively, we can't afford to give them any kind of wiggle room."

The Irish will take on Seton Hall at home Wednesday at 12 p.m., followed by a second game at 2 p.m. Both games take place in Melissa Cook Stadium.

Contact Katie Heit at

kheit@nd.edu