Saint Mary's hosts siblings

This weekend, Saint Mary's welcomed students' younger siblings to campus for the annual Little Siblings Weekend.

The event, sponsored by the Residence Hall Association (RHA), offered a chance for younger siblings to experience their sisters' campus lives.

Sarah Copi, vice president of RHA, said the weekend helped to bring families together.

"Judging by the smiles I've seen around campus, I would say the weekend was a huge success," she said.

First year student Maddie Sampson said having her younger sisters visit was a wonderful treat, and she looks forward to hosting them again next year.

"I invited them to come down because I haven't seen them in a long time, and they both have been really excited to come here and visit me," Sampson said.

The festivities kicked off Friday night with an ice cream social event, and main events of the weekend took place Saturday.

Copi said RHA collaborated with Saturday's Saint Mary's College Dance Marathon to allow younger siblings to participate in Dance Marathon events, specifically the show "Silly Safari," which was performed in Angela Athletic Facility on Saturday.

"By partnering with Dance Marathon and utilizing their theme, we were able to pool resources and add fun events such as the safari show," she said.

Kathryn Siver, younger sister of first year student Tess Siver, said the show was the highlight of her weekend.

"I had such a fun weekend visiting my older sister," she said. "We are from Arizona, so I do not get to see her very often. She took us to the safari show, and that was by far my favorite part of the entire weekend. We got to see a bunch of different animals, but the baby cub was my favorite."

Copi said crafts were available in the Student Center Lounge, including face painting, making masks, coloring, painting frogs and sidewalk chalk.

Maddie Sampson's sister Claire said she enjoyed these crafts, along with other weekend activities.

"Getting my face painting was a lot of fun," she said. "But my favorite part of the whole weekend was getting pictures with my sister and her friends in the photo booth."

The weekend's activities came to an end Sunday when students and their siblings tie-dyed drawstring bags with the Saint Mary's logo on them.

The weekend provided an opportunity for her younger sisters to experience the college life she loves, Sampson said.

"I had a great weekend with my sisters," she said. "I am so happy that Saint Mary's offers this opportunity for my siblings to come and see some fun aspects of the College. I hope this experience will help my sisters aspire to be future Belles."