Saint Mary's OSCE honors six for service

The Saint Mary's Office for Civic and Social Engagement (OCSE) recognized six students for their commitment to service Tuesday night. Seniors Emily Kieffer, Remi White, Megan Loney, AlayneRiege and Areli Bautista, as well as junior Maeva Alexander were honored for their efforts at an awards banquet.

"Receiving this award demonstrates to me that I made a difference," Loney said. "I'm not as proud of receiving the award, as I am that someone nominated me to begin with. Knowing that my service made a difference makes all of the time and energy I spent, worth it."

Each award represents a specific value from the Sisters of Holy Cross. Kieffer received the award for service in spirituality, White for service in the health field, Loney for service in education, Riege for service with women, Bautista for general service and Alexander for her involvement in the College Academy of Tutoring (CAT) program.

Kieffer has been a member of Women's Spirituality Group and Campus Ministry, but her volunteer work extends to the Center for the Homeless and St. Adalbert's Catholic Church.

According to the OSCE press release, White is an active member in the community. "Whether it is helping with a breast cancer run at Saint Mary's, putting her nursing training to use in the home of a medically fragile child, practicing as a student nurse at South Bend's Darden Primary Center, providing blood pressure screenings at St. Margaret's House, a day center for women and children in South Bend, or making rosaries for soldiers, her heart is in helping others, " the press release said.

Loney's service at Clay High School earned her the award for education.

"My service experiences have ingrained in me a sense of social responsibility to be aware of issues affecting a community and to do something about it," Loney said.

Loney said she plans to enter the Peace Corps upon graduation from Saint Mary's.

Riege, awarded for her service with women, serves as an intern at the Family Justice Center (FJC), a rape crisis and domestic violence resource center in South Bend.

"I love that I get to help women who feel hopeless and alone find their way out of bad situations," Reige said in the press release.

She also became involved with SOS (Sexual Offense Services), where she works as an on-call advocate assisting women and men who are victims of sexual assault and domestic violence.

Bautista was awarded for her general service throughout her time at Saint Mary's College.

"I have had countless opportunities to grow and be empowered to make a difference in the world.," she said. "My service has shaped who I am today. I have grown to care for others and do whatever I can to promote social justice."

Bautista plans to attend graduate school at Indiana University.

Alexander has dedicated more than 650 hours to serving and volunteering for the CAT program.

"Maeva expresses great leadership and creativity in every aspect of the CAT Program. She inspires all of us to think bigger and better when working with our students and each other," junior Carla Leal, the program's student director said.

"I want to contribute what I can to the world," Alexander said.

Contact Madeline Miles at mmiles01@saintmarys.edu