Students design "Sweet'' fundraiser

Saint Mary's students can reward their sweet tooth while also supporting a good cause this Thursday, thanks to several seniors working on a class project.

Chrissy Carson, Amanda Noesen, Michelle Rozman, Erika Scoliere and Kelly Smetana had no difficulty in choosing Hannah & Friends as their charitable cause for a marketing management class at Saint Mary's.

"Hannah & Friends is a non-profit organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for children and adults with special needs," Rozman said. "We chose this foundation because they have impacted the South Bend community in such a positive way. Our group feels that Hannah & Friends' mission is inspiring, and we wanted to help support the work they do."

After picking the charity, which was founded by former Irish football coach Charlie Weis and his wife Maura, the group decided what type of event to use as a fundraiser for the foundation.

"We chose [frozen yogurt shop] Let's Spoon as our event location because of its popularity among students and the community, and because it is a lot of fun," Rozman said. "Customers can create their orders exactly as they want, so there is something for everyone.

"We wanted to pick a location that would appeal to all ages and with the weather getting warmer, we thought Let's Spoon would be perfect for our event."

The theme of the event is "Let's Eat Something Sweet."Rozman said this reflects the group idea behind the event of having a fun place for people to get together while supporting a great cause.

After the group knew they wanted to collaborate with Hannah & Friends and Let's Spoon, they shared their ideas with both organizations to discuss how to get the event up and running.

"Our event requires a lot of planning," Rozman said. "We have been working with both Hannah & Friends and Let's Spoon for weeks leading up to the event."

The group worked with APimage to design a t-shirt for the event, Rozman said.

"The people from APimage were so helpful and guided us through the design process, listening to our suggestions and making recommendations based off their expertise," she said. "We love the way the shirt turned out, and hope everyone else does as well."

Students can visit Let's Spoon on April 19 with vouchers downloaded from www.hannahandfriends.org/calendar. The group will also be selling the shirts for $10 at the Student Center today during lunch and dinner hours.

Contact Jillian Barwick at jbarwi01@saintmarys.edu