Tosh.0 #atthemorris

As the lights dimmed in the Morris Performing Arts Center this Wednesday, the audience didn't hear the usual announcement to turn off and stow away their cell phones.

Daniel Tosh of the Comedy Central show "Tosh.0" is known for his strong Twitter presence. The social media outlet is an integral part of his satiric show, airing Tuesday nights at 10 p.m.

Cell phones flashed after Kyle Kinane's opening act, as Tosh walked onstage toting his two dogs, which he takes with him on tour.

Throughout Wednesday's performance, audience members tweeted responses to Tosh's performance using #tosh. The technology takeover did not, however, stop the audience from vocalizing their approval once the jokes started rolling in.

"So, people kept asking me why I came here," was all Tosh had to say to get the night rolling on what promised to be a groan-inducing run.

Sophomore Connor Sorensen said he saw the show because he thought it would be an enjoyable thing to do during the week.

"Tosh is a pretty fun guy, so I thought I might as well take the opportunity," he said.

Tosh is known for his signature irreverent jokes, paired with a snarky smile. Jokes Wednesday night targeted sensitive issues such as abortion, terrorism, racism, relationship issues, religious intolerance and obesity.

Despite the audacity of the content, the audience roared with laughter.

"I liked the religious jokes," said sophomore Katie Nunn.

For some students, Tosh.0 is part of their traditional dorm life.

"It's hilarious, we've been watching it every week since last year with our friends," said sophomore Matthew Jewell. "It's 'Tosh Tuesday.'"

When it came to inappropriate jokes, Tosh left no stone unturned.

His comedic style involves blatantly alienating his audience, then turning around and criticizing them for feeling estranged.

"I've got to loosen you guys up," Tosh said into the microphone after cracking a joke. "Otherwise, you're going to be in for a long night."

Tosh expects his audience to understand his sense of humor, or learn to laugh along with him - and fast.

"If there are any of you people out there who have ever thought, 'There's nothing funny about blank,' then I hate you," he said.

While Tosh certainly took a few shots at Notre Dame ("Notre Dame will never be relevant," he said), students said they expected more material related to the University.

"I thought it was funny, but he didn't do as much Notre Dame stuff as I thought he would," sophomore James Peterson said.

Although Tosh touches on hot-button issues, such as the election, with lowbrow humor, such as red-neck behavior, he does it all with a satiric grin that could charm just about anyone.

Plus, his self-promotional tendencies are overdone to the point of being self-deprecating.

Overall, Tosh was unwilling to tone down his racy sense of humor for the largely-Notre Dame audience, and was his usually entertaining, rakish self.