ND Women's Golf: Notre Dame finishes second in Big East

Last season, the Irish placed fifth in the NCAA central region tournament and, for the first time, went to the NCAA tournament where they finished 22nd overall. This year, under the leadership of Irish coach Susan Holt, Notre Dame ended the regular season ranked 49th in the nation and took second place in the Big East tournament.

Holt said the Big East tournament ended in heartbreaking fashion for her squad.

"It was definitely disappointing losing by one stroke in the Big East tournament," Holt said. "But we still made it to the regional tournament and we are playing well so far."

Holt compared the season and her team's journey to that of another Irish squad.

"We are a lot like the women's basketball team," Holt said. "We did not win the Big East tournament but we now have a shot at going to the NCAA tournament."

Senior captain BeccaHuffer became the third golfer in program history to be named to the All-Big East team all four years of her collegiate career. For her career, she has averaged a round score of 75.17 strokes and this season has an average of 75.27 strokes.

"I have been coaching [at Notre Dame] for six years now and Becca has been an integral part of the team," Holt said. "She was my first actual recruit here. She came to a northern school not known for golf and has performed very well since then. After Becca, our recruits have only got better and better."

Along with Huffer, sophomore Kristina Nhim was also named to the All-Big East team, her second selection to the squad. In her career, she has averaged 76.59 strokes per round.

Freshman Ashley Armstrong has made significant contributions to the Irish in her rookie year, as she was honored as Big East Freshman of the Year and was also named to the All-Big East team. In the Big East tournament, Armstrong placed first after 72 holes and three playoff holes with a total score of 216. This season, Armstrong averaged 75.58 strokes per round.

"Ashley is a fierce competitor who always has a shot to win," Holt said. "She has performed extremely well for her first year and you can never count her out."

After one round, Notre Dame was in fourth place in the central region tournament at the Ohio State Scarlet Course in Columbus, Ohio and looked poised to head back to the championship, but the Irish struggled across the next two rounds and finished 15th, ending their season short of capturing an NCAA tournament berth.

Contact Isaac Lorton at ilorton@nd.edu