SMC class gift breaks record

The Saint Mary's Class Gift Campaign broke records this year by raising $14,311.68, the largest student gift in the College's history, campaign advisor Amy Dardinger said.

This year, 207 seniors, 51.1 percent of the Class of 2012, contributed to the gift, Dardinger said, and students can continue donating until May 31.

Senior Jessica Gagnon, co-chair of the Senior Class Gift Committee, said donating to the Class Gift Campaign provides Saint Mary's students with an opportunity to show their support and gratitude to the College. 

"It shows your dedication to Saint Mary's, and is a way to thank your school for four great years," she said. "Making a donation to the 2012 class gift is a great way to give back and allow future Belles to have the same opportunities as you." 

Earlier in the year, the Class of 2012 voted to have their class gift contribute to either a scholarship fund or a donation to the Angela Athletic Facility, Dardinger said. 

"A scholarship would be great, because a lot of our students are scholarship recipients, and this would give students the opportunity to give back and help current students," she said. "[Donating to] Angela would also be fantastic, because the building is in need of renovations and every little bit helps." 

Tribute gifts comprise a significant portion of the Class Gift Campaign, Dardinger said. These contributions allow students to donate money to their class gift in honor of someone who has played an important role in their Saint Mary's career.

"Tribute gifts were a great motivating tool this year, because people wanted to honor those who meant a lot to their Saint Mary's experience," Dardinger said. "This year, 33 students chose to make a tribute in honor, memory or thanks for the support of someone special." 

Gagnon said promoting donations of class-themed gifts of $20.12 each helped break the class gift fundraising record. 

"The Class of 2012 has done an extraordinary job of fundraising, and they've really rallied over the last couple of months to make a significant gift to the College," Gagnon said. "Getting more girls to donate $20.12 was a big improvement compared to years past, when students would only donate a couple dollars or spare change." 

Parent support has also contributed to the senior class's fundraising efforts, Dardinger said. 

"We also ask parents to honor their daughters by making a gift to the Class of 2012, and we had a fantastic response this year," she said. 

The 2012 class gift will leave a strong legacy at the College, Dardinger said.

"Class Gift Campaign is important because it helps set up the future of the College," she said. "This current senior class will represent 2.5 percent of all alumnae when they graduate, so they have a lot of power to influence what happens to Saint Mary's in the future. Their class gift is the first gift current seniors are going to give to the College and one that they will remember forever."