Feedback from the 4 to 5 Movement

Welcome back from the 4 to 5 Movement!

We, the co-presidents of the Progressive Student Alliance (PSA), would like to welcome everyone to campus for the beginning of the semester. Last fall, PSA initiated the 4 to 5 Movement in an effort to address the need for greater inclusion on campus for members of the community who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning (LGTBQ) and their allies. In the spring of 2012, members of the 4 to 5 Movement sparked a legitimate conversation, bringing the topics of sexual orientation and gender identity into the mainstream discourse on campus. We were able to foster an environment that welcomed this discussion, as well as one in which allies were not afraid to express their support.

The 4 to 5 Movement and those involved remain wholeheartedly committed to the goals with which we set out to achieve in October of 2011 - read more on our website, 4to5Movement.org. We are committed to creating a truly inclusive environment on campus for members of the community who identify as LGBTQ. We understand that the common good of our University and her students commands a respect for the fundamental dignity of the human person. We encourage open, honest and respectful dialogue, especially now as we await a decision from Student Affairs on the recognition of our gay-straight alliance, AllianceND.

As we approach our one-year anniversary, we are entering an exciting time for the future of inclusion at Notre Dame. Feedback from all members of the community is essential. We are shaping this future together, and your voice matters.

Alex Coccia
co-president, PSA
junior
Siegfried Hall
Aug. 26

Lauren Morisseau
co-president, PSA
sophomore
Breen-Phillips Hall
Aug. 26