For students who don't understand football

Notre Dame's football obsession presents a dilemma to a certain population of the student body. For there is a certain percentage, albeit small, that might not completely get football, whether because they don't understand the rules or just don't enjoy it. Though the rest of the football-crazy student body will gasp in shock at this blasphemous tragedy, this minority should not feel shunned or in any way stripped of their status as a Notre Dame student.

Do not feel disheartened. Despite assurances from millions of fans that the rules are simple, there are actually many who are baffled that fans can understand what tiny figures are doing on a field seemingly miles away with an infinitesimal ball. You are not alone.

At the same time, do not feel that you shouldn't participate in this Notre Dame tradition just because the concept of football is elusive. Notre Dame football provides an unparalleled sense of camaraderie. This is not something to be missed out on just because you don't understand or enjoy football.

Students who don't get football, don't despair; there are many who privately share your feelings. Don't let this deter you from attending the games and cheering on your team. You can still cheer wildly when Notre Dame scores and let out a cry of disappointment when they lose. Maybe not because you love football, but because you love Notre Dame.

Bailey Stavetski
junior
Welsh Family Hall
Aug. 27