5k race raises funds

Saint Mary›s College Dance Marathon, a yearlong fundraising project for Riley Hospital for Children, is hosting a 5-kilometer (5K) race tonight at 6:30 p.m. to raise money for the hospital and to promote the final dance marathon in March.

While preregistration took place last week, people can still sign up anytime between 6 and 6:30 p.m. at the race start, which is located by the Saint Mary's softball fields. Race-day registration costs $5. Any students, faculty or staff from Saint Mary's, Notre Dame and Holy Cross may participate. The event is also open to the public.

Senior Amy Tiberi, Dance Marathon president, said the event was part of a growing tradition.

"This will be our sixth year doing the 5K," Tiberi said.

The Dance Marathon fundraiser at Saint Mary's College began eight years ago and the 5K has been a part of the fundraising efforts for a majority of the program's existence.

"[The 5K] used to be called Trots for Tots but we decided to call it FT5K because it is for the kids," Kate Kellogg, Dance Marathon co-vice president, said. "[The name] really embodies our mission statement and what we stand for."

Tiberi said about 90 people participated in last year's race. There are currently 85 runners registered, but she said she hopes that number will increase with race-day registration.

"Seeing people wearing the 5K T-shirt throughout campus really raises awareness. It's just really cool to see campus get involved with Dance Marathon," Kellogg said.

As an added incentive to participate, a gift card to a local business will be given to the top three female and male finishers of the race.

"I planned this event last year and this year and now I am one of the vice presidents and it's really cool to see directing and seeing the dynamics [of the 5K]," Kellogg said.

Tiberi said Dance Marathon will host other events this fall to raise funds and awareness for Riley.

"On Nov. 1, we are having a benefit concert on campus [and] in October we are having dancer registration," Tiberi said. "I think it's a great event to come out to because people are exercising and enjoying the great weather .... People would be doing that anyways, so why not do both by supporting a good cause?"