Group anticipates gameday

Student body president Brett Rocheleau began this week's Student Senate meeting by reminding students to be especially safe this weekend, especially for Saturday's night football game.

"Tell everyone who is underage in your halls that they are really not allowed to drink," Rocheleau said. "The Excise Police will be out this weekend, and hopefully nothing major happens."

Rocheleau also discussed a Campus Life Council meeting he attended earlier this week.

"We had a really good discussion focusing on consistency across dorms," Rocheleau said. "Our first meeting defined these inconsistencies, and next time we plan to delve into solutions."

Student body vice president Katie Rose continued by thanking Senate members for attending last Friday's Robinson Community Learning Center (RCLC) picnic.

"The RCLC picnic was a blast," Rose said. "It was the highest attendance of students and community members we've ever seen."

Rose attended a Community Campus Action Coalition meeting in Rocheleau's absence this week and heard from community members about off-campus student interactions.

"Overall things are okay, although property crimes are still pretty consistent. Off-campus parties are still a problem. Make sure you remind your friends living off-campus to be respectful of their neighbors," Rose said. "Also, to reinforce what Brett said earlier, be safe this weekend. Excise Police have doubled their force for the night game to make sure everything is under control."

Chief of staff Katie Baker informed the Senate of a new Student Union Board committee being formed for diversity in residence halls.  

"The purpose of the new committee is to make sure everyone feels welcome in their dorms from the minute they step foot on campus to the minute they leave four years later," Baker said. "The group is specifically for transfer students, international students ... anyone who needs help adjusting and feeling at home."

Next the Senate voted in favor of a resolution thanking the Office of Housing for funding hydration stations in each residence hall, brought in by Parker Dwyer, director of residence life for Senate.

The final order of business was the approval of a resolution brought forth by Matt Devine, director of gender studies for Senate. The resolution recognized the establishment of gender issues subcommittees.

Pangborn senator Emily Pollard described further what this resolution involves.

"Having subcommittees just breaks [the committee of gender studies] down so people can look at things more specifically," Pollard said. "It allows everybody to focus in on certain issues so we can help to the best of our abilities."

Baker said the cabinet discussed this resolution Tuesday and described it as more of public relations move than a final resolution.

"The point is really to keep the Senate and the student body informed so everyone knows where to go if they need help," Baker said.

The meeting ended with several dorm-specific announcements from the senators.  

Walsh Hall senator Veronica Guerrero reminded all the male dorms to enter one contestant for the Mr. ND Pageant happening next Thursday.

Hall Presidents' Council co-chair Matt Lynch reminded Senate of a student initiative to wear leis during Saturday's football game in solidarity with senior linebacker MantiTe'o.  

"In addition to the leis, make sure to tell everyone to hold up a 'five' from the minute Manti walks onto the field for the coin toss to the minute he leaves," Lynch said. "We are doing it as a sign of respect for everything that's happened to him in the past week."