Multiculturalism fosters segregation

After reading "Segregation at the Tabernacle" (Sept. 3), "Segregation or Celebration" (Sept. 6) and "Celebrate to unify" (Sept. 6), I agree with the first article in that race-specific events wholly contradict the University mission of unification. How can race-delegated retreats unite all members of the Notre Dame community?

However, the author of "Segregation or Celebration" said her time at a Latino retreat was open to various members of the Notre Dame community. So apparently such is not the case with all race-specific organizations on campus. While they insist they are welcoming to all persons and committed to diversity, race-based organizations are not welcome to a diversity of thought.

As a black American, I reach to the various members of the Notre Dame community by sharing my conservative-leaning ideology. I find it is the blacks and African-Americans who attack me with scorn and derision - the same people who claim they appreciate diversity. "Uncle Tom" and "sell-out" are just a few of the responses levied at me; they hardly ever retort with a response that is not laced with hate.

So, if we as a community want to heal the wounds of yesteryear, unify people with various opinions and enlighten each other, then we have to acknowledge multiculturalism does indeed foster segregation.

Shaaya Ellis
sophomore
Stanford Hall
Sept. 9