Do-it-yourself Halloween Costumes

Rip a page from the book of "Project Runway" challenges and make your costume yourself. Don't be afraid to step out on a limb and try some of these cool suggestions - you'll end up with a unique look that's fun and shows off your creative side.

Project Fun Way 

Ladies, you've seen them appear as a growing trend for various dorm dances and themed events around campus. I'm talking about duct-tape dresses. They're awesome ways to create a custom look that no one else can get their hands on, but how about adding even more individuality? Want a cool Halloween project that you and all of your friends can do together? Try using duct-tape dresses as a foundation to lay candy on. All you need for this DIY project is duct tape, whatever types of candy you want to use and strong glue (I would suggest trying to get your hands on a glue gun if possible). Once you have those things, glue away! Need some inspiration? Try looking at fabric dresses with cool designs and mimic them with the candy that you choose. The end result will be nothing short of fabulous, and you'll have tons of flexibility when it comes to choosing what you actually want to be. Team up with your friends, and you're sure to be the best Candy Land collaboration on the streets this Halloween.

Cloud Fine

Want something that will last longer than a candy dress but will be just as much fun to make? Grab the same products, but instead of candy, try grabbing some cotton stuffing from your local art supply store like Michael's. Add some different colored wash-out hair dye canisters to your shopping bag and you're all set. Use your duct tape platform, whether it is a dress or some other creative piece of duct tape clothing, and begin gluing the stuffing to the dress. In less than an hour you'll have yourself a wispy white piece of wonderland and a variety of possibilities for how you can use it. Try teasing out your hair, adding some soft makeup, incorporating the number nine somewhere into the look, and going as "Cloud Nine." If you want to be even more creative, take individual pieces of cotton stuffing and dye them with the hair dye. Use colorful makeup and accessories and go as Cotton Candy (bonus points if your name is Candace). Not feeling it? Try buying a colorful wig to go with your dress and going as the Katy Perry from the "California Gurls" video. The list of possibilities is endless, so try it out and have some fun!