ND Women's Tennis: Irish head to regional meet

Notre Dame will aim to put on a good showing against regional opponents at the Midwest Regional Championships in Champaign, Ill., which begins Oct. 18.

Though the Irish are not certain yet which members of their team will be competing in the upcoming tournament, senior Chrissie McGaffigan said they are all eager to prove themselves against strong local competition.

"We have a very strong region so the tournament will be very competitive," McGaffigan said. "Michigan, Northwestern, and Ohio Stat, and Illinois always bring very talented players each year."

Irish junior Britney Sanders earned recognition as the Big East Women's Tennis Player of the Month for October,athe first monthly conference award for Sanders.

No matter who ends up participating in the tournament, McGaffigan said the Irish will be prepared to compete.

"We have all been working really hard and pushing one another in practice, so I hope that it will show with our play at regionals," McGaffigan said.

Team unity will be key throughout the fall break as the Irish prepare for the five-day competition at week's end," McGaffigan said

"Our teams plans on spending a lot of time together on and off the court," McGaffigan said. "We are so lucky to have such a hardworking group of girls with such supportive coaches. Everyone really enjoys being out on the court."

The Irish continue their fall season with the Midwest Regional Championships in Champaign, Ill., on Oct. 18.

Contact Katie Heit at kheit@nd.edu