Police fundraise at doughnut shop

Police officers from a number of St. Joseph County departments will poke fun at the stereotype of cops hanging around doughnut shops today and tomorrow at the second annual event Cops on Top of the Doughnut Shop.

The two-day fundraiser is sponsored by the Special Victims Unit sector of the Family Justice Center (FJC), a St. Joseph County non-profit that offers services for abused individuals.

"During the two-day time period, police officers from various agencies in St. Joseph County, including Notre Dame [Security] Police, will 'live' on the rooftop of KrispieKreme ... to bring attention to the issues as well as to raise funds to help combat these crimes," SareenLambright Dale, director of the FJC, said.

The event will take place at KrispyKreme Doughnuts at 5615 N Main Street in Mishawaka.

Officers from the Special Victims Unit are partnering with Notre Dame Security Police, St. Joseph County Police, the South Bend Police Department, the Mishawaka Police Department and the Lakeville Police Department to staff the roof.

Activities at the event include doughnut-eating contests, cornhole tournaments, Zumba, fingerprinting and pumpkin painting.

"We hope to raise around $15,000," Dale said. "We also want to raise awareness about our programs and how people can get help if they've been abused."

Proceeds from the event will benefit services for victims of domestic and sexual violence, including child molestation, rape and intimate partner violence, Dale said.

The fundraiser will also donate profits toward the FJC's victim and family support services, education programs and information and referral services, as well as The Protective Order Project, which grants protection orders to about 1,500 local residents per year.

"We hope to gain support from the community. We are hoping for a big turn out to raise awareness for the cause as well as raise money for the organization," Saint Mary's senior Kristina Sorensen, who works at the FJC, said. "[FJC is] planning on moving to a better location during our Winter break. The money would help out greatly with the move and the start in their new location."

The FJC provides services to victims of domestic violence and their families in order to get their lives back on track, according to the center's website. Their programs include confidential assessments, the distribution of emergency cell phones and a Clothes Closet and Diaper Bank.

Later in Oct., S-O-S, a partner program of the FJC who holds a 24-hour crisis line, will hold a fundraiser called A Cut for a Cause at Haircrafter's in South Bend.