Students enjoy bonfire despite rain

Saint Mary's students braved the rain Wednesday evening to attend the annual Student Diversity Board (SDB) bonfire, featuring local performers, three blazing fires and food.

Board member Jean Osberger said the bonfire was the start of great year of SDB events to come.

"Tonight is a kickoff for the year and to get everyone excited for other SDB events," Osberger said.

Saint Mary's singing group Bellacappella performed renditions of popular songs such as "Some Nights," complete with background beat boxing.

Local poet Pam Blair recited two poems she had written titled "The Carousel of Life" and "I Want to Dream."  

Notre Dame student rapper D. Montayne performed a set, including a rap to the tune of the Notre Dame fight song. He also performed his song "Broken Mirrors," for which a music video will soon be filmed. Students danced and put their hands up as the rapper performed, in preparation for his upcoming show at Club Fever this Saturday.

The TroopND hip-hop dance team and the ND/SMC Irish dance team followed these performances.

Raffles took place throughout the night for three buckets of candy, an SDB t-shirt and a rubber bracelet. Students also enjoyed s'mores, caramel apples and cider.

Later this year, SDB will host the Diverse Students Leadership Conference on diversities in various settings, the challenges in incorporating diversity and the benefits of diversity, which will be held March 19 to 20. The theme for this school year's conference is "From Awareness to Action."

SDB bonfire chair Abby Burgan said she was pleased with the number of students who attended.

"Despite the rain and all the obstacles we still had a great turnout," Burgan said.

SDB president Maggie Galvin said she also thought the event was successful despite the inclement weather.

"I would like to thank everyone for coming out in the rain to support our amazing performers," Galvin said.

"A little rain didn't ruin our fun."

Board member Rachel Chaddah said the event has grown in popularity.

"It's a testament to the tradition of (the bonfire) that so many people came out," she said. "I've been on the board since freshman year, [and] it's gotten bigger and bigger each year."