Top 10 Halloween costumes
Ankur Chawla | Tuesday, October 30, 2012
Today is one of my favorite holidays of the year (behind St. Patrick’s Day and the first football game of the season, of course.) Halloween is a time of candy, horror and humor, and sometimes it’s tough coming up with the right costume. So you don’t pull a Cady Heron from “Mean Girls” and show up in a completely socially unacceptable costume, here is my list of the top 10 costumes of the year.
10. The Tune Squad. “Space Jam” is one of my all time favorite movies, and any group that puts together the Tune Squad to take down the Monstars is an accomplishment. Bonus points for having Michael Jordan show up.
9. Memes in real life. Over the past few years, memes have become an accepted form of communication and social commentary. Memes in real life, “Overly Attached Girlfriend” or “Good Guy Greg,” for instance are both relevant and hilarious. I personally will be “Ridiculously Photogenic Guy.”
8. The Avengers. The biggest blockbuster of the summer provides half a dozen easy costume ideas if you’re going solo or as a team if you have a band of five guys. Plus, you’ll be needed to take down number 7 …
7. Bane. It’s not important what your costume is; what matters is your plan. Just kidding. Practice his voice if you want to pull this off, though.
6. Aladdin. Disney classics never go out of style, and we all know Aladdin is not only the greatest Disney movie but also the studliest character of all time. Speaking from experience, 60 percent of the time this costume works every time.
5. Anyone from our defensive front seven. Our defense has been scary good through the first eight games, and any team’s offense would tremble at the sight of you. One of my personal favorite “College GameDay” posters was, “Why was 6 afraid of 7? Because 7 is Stephon Tuitt.”
4. McKayla Maroney. Spend Halloween being unimpressed with everyone as the gymnastics star famously was after getting the silver medal.
3. Romney/Obama. Politics are always a frightful sight, and it’s always easy to poke fun at the two presidential candidates. Don’t forget to bring a binder full of women if you try to be Romney.
2. Hurricane Sandy. The winds and rain have been terrifying even in the Midwest, a thousand miles away from the Hurricane’s epicenter. Too soon though?
1. Psy. Gangnam Style.
Contact Ankur Chawla at [email protected]
The views expressed in the Inside Column are those of the author and not necessarily those of The Observer.