Women's Swimming: Team looks to first meet

Fall break means a chance to relax for most students, but the women's swimmers and drivers will be working toward victory in their first meet of the season.

"I am happy that we have a meet at the end of midterms because it is a great way to de-stress and start off our fall break training and the football weekend on a good note," senior diver Kimmie Lisiak said.

This year's season-opening Stark Relays will be the 48th installment of the event, which was known as the Notre Dame Relays until the name was changed in 2003 to honor former men's and women's swim coach Dennis Stark. The Irish will host Cleveland State, Oakland, IUPUI and Illinois State.

As the name implies, most of the meet's events are team-based - even for the divers.

"The diving team is especially excited for the synchronized 3-meter diving event because we only get to compete in that once a year," Lisiak said. "It's fun for us because we pair up with a teammate who has similar dives and compete together."

After a week of midterm exams and papers, the conditions might not seem ripe for setting personal records. But senior freestyler and fly specialist Lauren Scott said the team is ready to race.

"Collegiate swimming is always about balancing school work and swimming," Scott said. "Midterms add a challenge, but our team typically performs well academically and in the pool. I think regardless of the point in the season, we need to take advantage of each opportunity to race. We will definitely be looking for good performances to get us excited as our training continues."

Senior backstroke and fly specialist Kim Holden echoed Scott's sentiments.

"We've been working really hard in the water and the weight room, but we understand that if we can train our bodies to race well when we're tired that when we're rested in February and March we'll have some exciting performances," Holden said.

Many of the swimmers said they enjoy easing into the season with a relay meet.

"The team is definitely looking forward to the relay meet this Friday," Holden said. "It's a great way to kick off our season because the events are fun and it's a very team-oriented meet."

Scott said she also appreciates the tradition associated with the event.

"The relay meet is a good way to start the season and a great tradition," Scott said. "I think we all get very competitive because it is our first meet, but it is also a great way to get excited about our dual meets."

The Irish jump into the pool for the first time this season at 5 p.m. Friday at the Rolfs Aquatic Center.

Contact Vicky Jacobsen at vjacobse@nd.edu