Baraka Bouts: Bouts conclude with second-round fights

By KIT LOUGHRAN

Sports Writer

Alyssa "The Karate Kid" Casilldef. Jolynn "Baby J" Hoang

In the first fight of the night, the junior Hoang was forced to forfeit the match to the senior Casill after the first round due to injury.

Casill opened the fight with a series of quick jabs to the head. She controlled the fight by pushing Hoang around the ring with her swift left jabs. Throughout the round, Hoang was on the defensive, battling back with a couple of left hooks. 

The contest was stopped at the beginning of the second round, leaving Casill the victor.  

Ragan "Hot" Todd "y" def. Teresa "Pika"Choe

The senior Todd utilized her quick movement and right hook to narrowly reach a split decision victory over the senior Choe

Todd opened the fight with a series of aggressive, fast-paced headshots to Choe, who maintained a steady left-hand hook throughout the first round.

With the start of the second round, the aggression and competition of the fight escalated as the two opponents battled one another with an explosion of headshots. 

In the third round, Todd continued to stun Choe with her right hook, giving her the advantage in the fight. Ultimately, after a heated exchange of punches, it was Todd who won the fight by split decision. 

Christina "The Cannon" Buchanan def. Brianna "Sting Like a Bee" Kunycky

In an intense and evenly matched battle, the senior Buchanan took home a split decision victory.

Buchanan opened the fight with a strong punch to the senior Kunycky's head, taking her off guard. But Kunycky attacked    with a left hook shot, refusing to back down. 

The third round kicked off with a quick exchange of headshots between the two seniors. While Kunycky attacked with body shots, Buchanan continued to utilize headshots and swift movements to lead her to victory. 

Julia "Can't Be Controlled" Berchtolddef. Tamara "TKO Win" Nguyen

The senior Berchtold set the tone of the fight early, attacking with a combination of body and headshots. This strategy helped Berchtold win the fight by unanimous decision. 

In the second round, Nguyen stepped up her intensity, opening with a left hook. But Berchtold responded with a series of headshots. 

The third round was an even battle with both opponents fighting aggressively. Berchtold used several shots to the head and mixed in a few strategic hooks to secure the victory. 

Rose "The Riveter" Raderstorfdef. MJ "Thing 1" Durkin

In a quick-paced and aggressive fight, the senior Raderstorf won the contest by split decision. 

The first round was marked by an exchange of a series of headshots. Raderstorf and the senior Durkin both moved skillfully around the ring.

In the second round, Durkin used solid left and right hooks to throw Raderstorf off guard. Raderstorf bounced back though, and attacked with strong jabs to Durkin's head. 

Raderstorf's combination of hooks and body shots in the third round helped her to rise above Durkin and win by split decision.

Contact Kit Loughran at kloughr1@nd.edu

By LESLEY STEVENSON

Sports Writer

Carmen Lopez def. Ann "No Need to Duck" Castner

The senior Lopez started off strong against the smaller senior Castner. The second round found both fighters advancing cautiously, conserving energy for a decidedly more energetic third round. Castner was frequently able to duck under Lopez's quick jabs, forcing Lopez to aim lower. Through the third round, the women traded punches fairly evenly. Castner attacked with a strong finish, but it was not enough to secure the win. Lopez walked away with the unanimous decision.

Stani "The Bulgarian Beast" Sevovadef. Julie "Thing 2" Saxer

In a quick battle of rapid blows, the off-campus senior Sevova triumphed over fellow off-campus senior Saxer. Saxer instigated the fight with a fierce attack, but Sevova held her own throughout the rest of the match. Both fighters approached each other carefully in the first round, but Sevova had the edge with several direct hits to Saxer's head. In the second round, Sevova gained a quick edge with rapid shots to Saxer's head. Saxer rallied several times and finished the round with a strong punch. Sevova forced Saxer to remain on defense through the third round and ended with the unanimous decision in her favor.

"Muhammed" Molly Allaredef. Meghan "You're Gonna Be Bawlin"Zwahlen

Despite Zwahlen's height advantage, the sophomore Allare defeated fellow sophomore Zwahlen in a unanimous decision. Neither boxer seemed to gain definitive control throughout the match. The referee was forced to call time during the first round to ensure Zwahlen's headgear fit properly. Allare came up strong after the break and launched an emphatic attack on her opponent. The fighters traded shots at the head for much of the third round, but Allare overcame the height discrepancy to secure the victory.

Shannon "The Glommer"Bugosdef. Danielle "La Guerrera" Duarte

Despite a remarkably fast start by Duarte, Pangborn freshman Bugos earned a unanimous decision with several decisive attacks. Pasquerilla West sophomore Duarte threw several rapid punches at her taller competitor. At first it seemed that her tenacity would force Bugos to play defense, but Bugos responded with several strong hits. Duarte's quick attacks lost some of their fury and Bugos' punches became more emphatic as she pushed Duarte back. Though Duarte tried to push Bugos away, her force was no match for Bugos' power as Bugos took home the win.

Courtney Currierdef. Michelle "Michelle Michelle" Young

Farley senior Currier found ways to avoid fierce attacks and win a unanimous decision over the senior Young. Both boxers showed off skilled footwork as their lunges and pivots forced each competitor to move around the ring and in and out of corners. Young started the match with a strong attack, but Currier continued to evade her punches. Currier managed to land several shots in the second round, during which both fighters advanced tentatively. In the third round, Currier increased her attack and her dominant display of power was enough to secure the win.

Dionne "Striker" Sandoval def. Jennifer "Fitz of Fury" Fitzpatrick

In a split decision, the Badin sophomore Sandoval defeated the senior Fitzpatrick. Sandoval aimed her initial shots low, cornering Fitzpatrick multiple times. The taller Fitzpatrick had a strength advantage, but Sandoval was rapid and relentless in her attacks. In the second round, both boxers varied their aim and their shots, forcing each other to adapt more quickly. By the third round, exhaustion had begun to affect the fighters as the pace of the bout slowed. The women advanced cautiously and exchanged blows and in the end, Sandoval won the narrow victory.

Kasia "Polish Punisher"Proutydef. Erin "Fired Up" Flattery

The MBA student Prouty defeated senior Flattery in a split decision that sparked cheers on both sides in the crowd. Prouty leveraged her height and strength advantage to push Flattery around the ring. Flattery responded with short, quick jabs that temporarily deterred Prouty. But by breaking up Flattery's attack with a few strong punches, Prouty managed to retain control of the first and second rounds. Flattery took a stronger approach in the final round and landed a few solid shots against Prouty. Her comeback was not quite enough though, as Prouty edged out the split decision.

Dagny "To Honor" Nagengastdef. Alison "Call Your Mom" Collins

With a fast and dominant start, the senior Nagengast quickly overcame fellow senior Collins in a decision decided by referee stoppage. Nagengast instantly forced Collins into a corner with several powerful punches. Time was called once in round one to allow Collins to adjust her headgear. The bout was stopped again after Collins's headgear fell off. In round two, both boxers had strong attacks, but Nagengast maintained a clear competitive edge. After the referee again called time for Collins, victory was awarded to Nagengast.

Contact Lesley Stevenson at lsteven1@nd.edu

By SAMANTHA ZUBA

Sports Writer

Diana "May the Force Be With" Yu def. Sunee "Shiner" Fleshman

The fifth-year student Yu defeated the senior Fleshman in a unanimous decision with strong one-two combinations and strategic body shots. Yu started the fight aggressively with a one-two-body shot sequence. She pushed Fleshman around the ring, and Fleshman was forced to fight defensively. Fleshman tried to rally in the third round, as she stood her ground and threw her own punches more aggressively. However, Yu's domination in the first two rounds led her to victory.

Tori "No" White "Flag" def. Lauren "The Big Labowski"Ladowski

Sophomore White, using straight right jabs, fended off junior Ladowski's combinations for a unanimous victory. White parried and blocked an extended series of strong, straight punches from Ladowski in the first round. White opened the second round with a flurry combination of one-two punches followed by a powerful right hook. She pushed Ladowski to the ropes in the third round, but Ladowski fought back. Ladowski took advantage each time White lowered her gloves and landed several solid hits with her right, but White landed more punches throughout the bout to secure the win.

Alisa "Baaadd"Blumenthalerdef. Michelle "Action" Purvis

The senior Blumenthaler defeated the MBA student Purvis in a unanimous decision. Blumenthaler knocked Purvis down early in the first round to set the tone for the fight. Purvis, however, refused to back down. She fought well in the second round and gained on Blumenhaler's early lead. Purvis backed Blumenthaler onto the ropes and forced her into defensive mode. In the third round, though, Blumenthaler's powerful jab overtook Purvis and she regained control of the fight. 

Amanda "Bringing the" Peñadef. Cristina "TripleX"Couri

The sophomore Peña and her quick body shots defeated the senior Couri in a split decision. Both boxers came out swinging in the first round of the fight. Couri showed off a strong straight right in her one-two combinations. Peña countered with body shots and a right jab combination. She kept Couri off balance by mixing in body shots. Couri tried to defend her lower body, which left her face open for Peña's devastating right punches.

Gina "I'm Not Sorry" Rogaridef. Elizabeth "Marvin Gardens" Garvin

The junior Rogari and her slick footwork defeated junior Garvin in a split decision. Rogari danced around the ring to elude Garvin's right jabs. Garvin responded late in the first round with several well-timed body shots. She was able to land her jab in the second round as well. Rogari, however, took control in the third round. Rogari used her jabs to set up sequences of one-two combinations and took advantage of Garvin's lowered gloves to secure her victory.

Kat "OuttaYo Reach" Leach def. Catherine "Dizzy" Gillespie

In a battle of seniors, Leach defeated Gillespie in a unanimous decision, with a crisp one-two combination. Leach was solid defensively and would throw jabs at opportune moments. She executed each combination with powerful precision and mixed in body shots to prevent Gillespie from gaining any offensive momentum. Both boxers were aggressive, stringing together powerful combinations of punches. Gillespie tried to respond to Leach's advances, but Leach's punches were more accurate, and sealed her the victory.

Emily "Goldilocks" Smith def. Allison "Knockdown" McKown

Freshman Emily Smith claimed victory over the sophomore McKown in a split decision. McKown displayed a strong jab in the first and third rounds. Smith stopped McKown's charges, however, with excellent parries and blocks. Smith blocked then responded with her own combinations. Smith capitalized each time McKown was caught in the transition between offense and defense. Smith's defense prevented McKown from landing the punches she would have needed to capture the victory in the close split decision.

Grace "Speedy" Petteydef. Elise "Golden" Eiden

The freshman Pettey won a battle of footwork over the junior Eiden in a unanimous decision. Both boxers showed off quick feet and clean, crisp punches. Pettey and Eiden fought strategically against each other rather than resorting to haymakers, and both boxers landed punches efficiently. Eiden effectively blocked Pettey's blows until the third round, when Pettey began throwing body shots, which forced Eiden to lower her gloves. Pettey took advantage of this and landed key hits in the third round on her way to victory.in her one-two combinations. Pena kept Couri off balance by mixing in body shots. Couri tried to defend her lower body, which left her face open for Peña's devastating right punches.

The junior Rogari and her slick footwork defeated junior Garvin in a split decision. Rogari danced around the ring to elude Garvin's right jabs. Garvin responded late in the first round with several well-timed body shots. Rogari, however, took control in the third round. Rogari used her jabs to set up sequences of one-two combinations and took advantage of Garvin's lowered gloves to secure her victory.

In a battle of seniors, Leach defeated Gillespie in a unanimous decision. Leach was solid defensively and would throw jabs at opportune moments. She executed each combination with powerful precision and mixed in body shots to prevent Gillespie from gaining any offensive momentum. Both boxers were aggressive, stringing together powerful combinations of punches. Gillespie tried to respond to Leach's advances, but Leach's punches were more accurate, and sealed her the victory.

Freshman Emily Smith claimed victory over the sophomore McKown in a split decision. McKown displayed a strong jab in the first and third rounds. Smith stopped McKown's charges, however, with excellent parries and blocks. Smith capitalized each time McKown was caught in the transition between offense and defense. Smith's defense prevented McKown from landing the punches she would have needed to win in the close split decision.

The freshman Pettey won a battle of footwork over the junior Eiden in a unanimous decision. Pettey and Eiden fought strategically against each other rather than resorting to haymakers. Eiden effectively blocked Pettey's blows until the third round, when Pettey began throwing body shots, which forced Eiden to lower her gloves. Pettey took advantage of this and landed key hits in the third round on her way to victory.

Sarah "Metal" McCarthy def. Colleen "Old" MacDonald

The junior McCarthy dominated the fight from her first punches and defeated the senior MacDonald in a unanimous decision. McCarthy opened the fight with a quick flurry of strikes. MacDonald failed to land punches in response, as McCarthy danced away from her. In the second round, McCarthy pushed MacDonald around the ring and prevented her from gaining any momentum. MacDonald came back strong in the final round with several solid one-two combinations, but it was not enough to overcome McCarthy.

Contact Samantha Zuba at szuba@nd.edu

By MARY GREEN

Sports Writer

Ana "Anarchy" Hernandez def. Madeline "Bring It" Hahn
Quick on her feet and with her punches, the senior Hernandez pounced to an early advantage over her freshman opponent and did not give it up as she won unanimously. In the first round, Hahn took to the defensive and primarily blocked Hernandez's jabs, while avoiding getting trapped in the corner. However, the freshman came out strong in the second round, matching the senior punch for punch. Once again, Hahn opened the third round with a flurry of punches, but this resurgence was not enou