Keep Douglas Road safe

To the Editor:
We live at University Village, home of Notre Dame's graduate student families, and we are stakeholders in this University that we love.
Notre Dame is proposing to expand and reroute Douglas Road directly in front of where we live. It is very likely that this proposal will be approved by the county.
After hearing a presentation from representatives of the University on Oct. 9, we had numerous concerns about how the new four-lane highway would affect us. The safety of our families is of primary importance. In particular,  we are concerned about crossing a busy four-lane highway without proper safety measures in place.
On Oct. 17, we met with John Affleck-Graves, Executive Vice President, and Erin Hoffman Harding, Vice President of Student Affairs. After assuring us that family housing is a priority for Notre Dame, they requested specific proposals to diminish the impact of the new road on our community.
The proposal we submitted this week calls for measures to keep vehicle speeds below 35 mph, an important safety threshold, as well as a crosswalk with sufficient safety features.
Further, the proposed road follows a straight line passing about 150 feet from our homes and where our children play. If the road were more curved, traffic could be naturally slowed and more green space at the Village could be preserved.
We are currently working with the administration on these and other proposals and we encourage other members of the Notre Dame community to be aware of, and involved in, this important project that will shape the university's future for years to come.

Simone and Wes Hamrick
graduate students
University Village
Nov. 5

Angela and Peter Campbell
graduate students
University Village
Nov. 5