Staff Predictions: Notre Dame vs. Boston College

Allan Joseph

Editor-in-Chief

For as tough as BYU was and as scrappy as Pittsburgh was, only one word comes to mind to describe Boston College: bad. It's a real shame the Eagles aren't better - remember, the team that knocked off the Irish in 2002 finished 9-3 - but it's pretty clear that coach Frank Spaziani has not been able to make his mark on the program.
Only one team from a BCS conference has a worse rush defense than Boston College: Miami. Notre Dame ran all over the Hurricanes for nearly 400 yards, and another explosion like that is coming again this weekend. The rotating backfield has helped Cierre Wood, Theo Riddick, George Atkinson and, yes, Cam McDaniel stay fresh late into the season. Never will that be more obvious than Saturday night. Everett Golson won't have to do nearly as much as last week.

FINAL SCORE: Notre Dame 42, Boston College 10

Andrew Owens

Assistant Managing Editor

One would think the 29-26 overtime victory over Pittsburgh will be the final scare the Irish face until the Thanksgiving weekend clash in Los Angeles against USC. With a couple of ACC bottom-feeders next on the slate, that's probably a pretty good bet.
You can never fully count Boston College out when it comes to ruining a perfect Irish season (see 1993 and 2002). But this Eagles team has about as much talent as head coach Frank Spaziani has a chance of keeping his job past this season.
Boston College is the second-worst rush defense Notre Dame has faced this season, and the Irish gashed the other (Miami) for 376 yards. This weekend should result in a similar beatdown as the Irish improve to 10-0.

FINAL SCORE: Notre Dame 38, Boston College 6

Chris Allen

Sports Editor

This year's Irish team has played its best football away from the friendlier confines of Notre Dame Stadium. This time the host is a lackluster Boston College team that is inferior to the Irish at nearly every position. Still, Notre Dame will have its guard up against a rival that has made a habit of ruining Notre Dame's perfect seasons. The difference between those upset-minded 1993 and 2002 Eagles teams and this year's iteration is the coaching.
Both Tom Coughlin - yes, that Tom Coughlin - in 1993 and Tom O'Brien in 2002 had their respective teams ready to compete with top Irish teams. Current Eagles coach Frank Spaziani has the Boston College program at an unfathomable low considering where the Eagles were just a handful of years ago. This is a mismatch all around.

FINAL SCORE: Notre Dame 30, Boston College 7

Andrew Gastelum

Associate Sports Editor

This isn't 2011. That is apparent in the 9-0 record the Irish sport today.
A year ago, a 3-7 Boston College squad meandered into South Bend and nearly upset the lethargic Irish, who went on to win 16-14.
This time around Notre Dame will be ready. The Irish, for whatever reason, excel away from Notre Dame Stadium. There are less distractions and football just comes easier when everyone wants you to mess up.
Look for Cierre Wood, Theo Riddick, George Atkinson and the recently unleashed Everett Golson to run around this Boston College defense and put up some big numbers in Beantown.

FINAL SCORE: Notre Dame 39, Boston College 8

Matthew DeFranks

Associate Sports Editor

There's no place like the road, huh?
For most teams, that is not even close to the case. But for this year's Irish, that has been the truth. They have outscored opponents by 24 more points away from Notre Dame Stadium than in cozy South Bend.
So if you're worried about another possible heart-attack, upset scare by an overmatched opponent, you should not be concerned about Boston College. The Eagles gave Notre Dame a good fight last year on Senior Day but bring in a defense that is worse than anything the Irish have faced this season. Before a win over Maryland, Boston College had registered only one other victory - against Maine. Yes, Maine. Look for the running game to dominate as the Irish cruise to 10-0.

FINAL SCORE: Notre Dame 52, Boston College 9