Government In Brief: Saint Mary's

Student Diversity Board

Saint Mary's Student Diversity Board [SDB] works to spread awareness of the many different cultures on campus.

Senior president Maggie Galvin said the group began with its annual SDB Bonfire, which aims to "showcase of the talents from different cultures on both campuses."

The group also hosted a brand new event this year called "Watch Your Mouth," to promote awareness of the language people use in everyday speech.

Galvin also said that group is trying to work with more of the multicultural clubs on campus.

SDB will kick off its work next semester with "Sugar Makes the World Go 'Round," which will feature dessert dishes from around the world. Later in the semester SDB will sponsor its annual events Disabilities Awareness Week, Women's Appreciation Week, and conclude with its Diverse Student Leadership Conference (DSLC).  

-Sarah Swiderski

Residence Hall Association

Saint Mary's Residence Hall Association (RHA) has been hard at work this year under senior president Sarah Copi.

RHA facilitates interaction between the hall councils and promotes a community atmosphere through its programming. Copi said that fall RHA events were a success.

"RHA held a tailgate for the Michigan State vs. [Notre Dame] football game," she said. "This was a great way for girls to meet new people and show their spirit. We even had a few people doing push-ups."

The RHA also hosted a haunted house before Halloween.

"All four hall councils worked together to decorate and create fun games and a haunted house," Copi said, "It was amazing to see the hall councils come together to plan such a successful event."

RHA is also responsible for Spirit Week, where dorms compete for the title "Hall of the Year." Next semester, RHA is planning the all-school formal and Lil' Sibs Weekend.

-Sarah Swiderski

Council of Student Activities

Council of Student Activities [CSA] is one of five councils that fall under the Student Government Association  of Saint Mary's. The council is composed of representatives from Student Diversity Board, Student Activities Board (SAB), and Residence Hall Association.

CSA is chaired by  student body president and senior Maureen Parsons. Parsons said the Council functions as a way to bring the various student activity groups together.

"We work to enrich campus life through the collaboration and coordination of campus programming. This council seeks to identify the primary responsibilities of each respective board, and capitalize on opportunities of overlap," Parsons said.

In its first year, CSA is setting a precedent, she said.

"We are trying to lay the foundation for future years. Our main focus is improving campus programming by building on events we have and creating new ones. We also really want to show support for all events and programs on campus," Parsons said.

-Sarah Swiderski

First Year Board

The First Year Board's top priority this semester was creating a community service event in which they accepted donations for a local family. The board has seen an excellent turn out and is expecting more donations to come,  board president Bri O'Brien said.

"Through this event we are hoping to encourage charity and community within our class and school," O'Brien said. "We also made a video wishing our class a Happy Thanksgiving called the 'Gobble', which is a parody of the 'Wobble,' and was a huge hit with our class."

The Board is utilizing Facebook polls on the first-year class page in order to better communicate with the class, O'Brien said.

Next semester, the Board is planning to put on the first ever "Belle Games," an event based off the "The Hunger Games."

"The main purpose of 'The Belle Games' is our class to have fun and get to know some Belles they might not otherwise have had the opportunity to connect with."

-Jillian Barwick

Sophomore Board

Over the course of the fall semester, the Sophomore Class Board planned the Sophomore Formal. The formal was held Nov. 16. With a 1920s theme, the formal was a huge success for the Board, president Amy Trahan said.

"I am so grateful to my vice president Anna Fanelli and to our Class Board for how much hard work they put in to make this fun event possible," Trahan said.

As for next semester, sophomores can look forward to Sophomore Parents weekend, which will be held the weekend of Feb. 8.

"Karen Johnson is helping us plan this event, as it is quite a big event, and it is important for parents to have a fun weekend with their daughter," Trahan said. "After Sophomore Parents Weekend, we will be planning an Easter fundraiser and service event for our class."

- Jillian Barwick

Junior Board

The main priority of the junior class this year is unity. The majority of the class is back from studying abroad sophomore year, and the class is well into their perspective majors, Class Board president Carolyn Backes said.

"As we get older we want our class to be closer with one another. As the smallest class at Saint Mary's we want to work together to remember these great four years that we will spend here," Backes said.

The class held their Junior Formal, which was themed "Famous Couples," this past weekend and it was a big success for the class.

"Our next big event is in April and it will be Junior Mom's weekend," Backes said. "[This is] a weekend that many of the girl's on campus have looked forward to since their freshman year."

This event will include a silent auction, a class ring blessing and many other events around campus celebrating the tradition and history of the College.

- Jillian Barwick

Senior Board

The group is now planning a second Buffalo Wild Wings Trivia Night, hoping it will prove as successful a fundraiser as the first.

This semester, Senior Board planned and hosted Senior Dad's Weekend, which board president Silvia Cuevas called a huge success.

"Senior Dad's Weekend was a great time and starred hypnotist Tom DeLuca on the Friday night of the weekend," Cuevas said. "It was an overall successful weekend full of great memories the seniors and their dads will definitely cherish forever."

Also included at Senior Dad's Weekend was a beer garden held in the Noble Family Dining Hall and a Boston College game watch at the Century Center in downtown South Bend on Saturday.

For next semester, the Senior Class Board will be busy preparing for the events during Senior Week, which includes the Senior Formal that will be held on May 10.

- Jillian Barwick