Ke$ha still awesome party girl on 'Warrior'

A disclaimer: I love all things kitsch. In fact, the tackier, the better. Perhaps it should come as no surprise I had incredibly high hopes for the newest album from the queen of trash herself, Ke$ha, she of the dollar-signed name.
Back when I was a wee little first-semester freshman, I came across a Facebook advertisement for some unknown singer who just released the single "TikTok." As a Britney Spears fan, I was apparently supposed to be drawn to this song due to its infectious, electro-driven beat and a certain degree of irreverence that seemingly only 20-something female pop singers can deliver. I clicked the link to listen to the song.
Boy, was I not prepared for what I was about to listen to.
From the infamous opening line - "Wake up in the morning feeling like P. Diddy" - to the heavy beat, to the exceedingly sassy lyrics about Ke$ha's over-the-top lifestyle (namely, brushing her teeth with a bottle of Jack Daniels), this girl was apparently a force to be reckoned with. For my entire first year at Notre Dame, it wasn't officially a party until "TikTok" had been played at least once.
Luckily for us, Ke$ha was not a one-hit wonder. With such hits as "We R Who We R" and "Your Love is My Drug," it was easy to see the blonde-haired pop vixen knew how to craft the ultimate party jams. With song titles like "Blah Blah Blah" and "Take It Off," we knew she wasn't going for critical prestige. But boy, does Ke$ha know how to get down. If she were a Greek goddess, she would be the female Dionysus, someone devoted to festivities and general merriment. And I love her for that.
With the release of "Warrior," her sophomore album, it is clear to see Ke$ha hasn't lost her dirty magic. The lead single "Die Young" is the de facto party anthem of the fall, thankfully surpassing "Gangnam Style" and "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together." Just like most of her other songs, it encourages lewd behavior, dancing, drinking and general debauchery. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.
What is so refreshing about Ke$ha is her uninhibited honesty. She drinks. She parties. She loves guys (big, hairy guys especially). She makes no bones about the fact that she likes having fun. And that is so different from other female pop stars out there.
Take Taylor Swift, who also released a new album this fall. Taylor too sings honestly and from the heart. Unfortunately, the emotions she wants to share with the world are bitter, catty and immature. On the other hand, Ke$ha is the type of girl who lets her hair down and doesn't let anyone's opinion of her get in her way of her pursuit of having a crazy fun time.
Tell me, which girl's music would you rather listen to? For that matter, which girl would you rather hang out with in real life? I thought so.
That isn't to say Ke$ha is all style, no substance. She brought in Wayne Coyne of The Flaming Lips to help produce several tracks, and Iggy Pop lends some vocals on "Dirty Love." But face it, if you're listening to Ke$ha you're probably at a dorm party or on the dance floor at Fever. Thankfully, "Warrior" delivers a slew of party-ready hits.
The second single off the album "C'Mon" starts off with what sounds like a choir of angels and segues into Ke$ha's signature rap-singing hybrid. Featuring such lyrics as "Feeling like a saber tooth tiger / Sipping on warm Budweiser" and "Feeling like a high schooler / Sipping on warm wine cooler" it is hard to not dance, or chuckle for that matter.
Other standouts on "Warrior" include "Gold Trans Am," "Crazy Kids" and "Out Alive." All feature thundering beats, catchy lyrics and impressive hooks. Ke$ha is good at what she does and she knows it. She even delves into more "serious" subject material on "Supernatural" which details a paranormal sexual experience she had. At this point, that type of behavior does not even surprise me.
My one bone to pick is when Ke$ha slows things down on tracks like "Wonderland." The song isn't bad, per se. Rather, when I listen to Ke$ha it's not because I am feeling moody or introspective. It's because I want to party. Luckily, these types of tracks are few and far between on "Warrior."
Face it. Ke$ha is the awesome party girl you may never have the guts to ask out. No matter. On "Warrior," she is here for us all, the goddess of trash, debauchery and fun.
Contact Sam Stryker at
sstryke1@nd.edu