SMC at the BCS

I found it incredibly disheartening to read the article, "Championship ticket tension" and the comments that have arisen from it. I'm a proud student at Saint Mary's College, and I've been so blessed to attend the school that I do. However, I've also considered myself blessed to have Notre Dame right across the street. These two institutions have such a strong history, and it's sad that instead of this historic season bringing the communities together, it's tearing them apart.

As a Belle, I've cheered Notre Dame onto victory, along with the rest of you, and I've taken advantage of many opportunities that Notre Dame has provided through clubs and activities. These comments from Notre Dame women that I'm "only from the sister [school]" make me question whether my contributions to the Notre Dame community and the contributions of my fellow Belles go unnoticed.

Saint Mary's women are members of the Notre Dame marching band and cheerleading squad, take pictures for The Observer, and hold leadership positions in clubs and activities. Both schools boast of the great relationship and community between the two, but that community seems to fall flat in reality.

I could argue about how the ticket lottery system is fair or unfair, but in all honesty, I don't care that much about it. It's disappointing to find out that all of the contributions from Belles, both past and present, go unrecognized by members of the Notre Dame student body, as we're referred to, yet again, as "just" Saint Mary's students. Why don't we all focus on the hard work and effort that our football team has put forth and celebrate as one community with them as they head to Miami? Go Irish!

Linsey McMullen