Cupcake Boy: Super Bowl Extravaganza Edition

Super Bowl Sunday is all about over-the-top extravagance. The bruising Ravens are squaring off against the high-octane 49ers. The host city? None other than boozy, revelry-loving New Orleans. The biggest diva in music, Beyoncé, is set to perform at halftime, perhaps with her former bandmates from Destiny's Child making an appearance. Corporations are shelling out nearly $4 million for a 30-second advertising spot.

In other words, go big or go home.

As a spectator, you had better be ready to uphold your end of the excessive bargain. That means if you are hosting or attending a Super Bowl party, don't plan on ordering pizza or cutting any corners in supplying limitless belly-filling grub. Super Bowl Sunday comes but once a year, so make sure you do it right and make some delicious (though not nutritious) snacks for the big game.

Whether you live off-campus and have access to a full kitchen or live in a dorm and are limited in space and cooking supplies, making some delectable snacks for Sunday's festivities is not only easy but also rewarding. Homemade snacks will impress friends and taste infinitely better than the store-bought variety.

For this weekend, fellow Scene writer Kicki Astuno and I have prepared a savory and a sweet snack - Buffalo Chicken Dip and No-Bake Cocoa Peanut Butter Cookies. Both are super easy to make and taste deliciously indulgent. You can make the dip first, and while it is baking in the oven you'll have plenty of time to prepare the cookies. It's as easy as that. Be sure to also check out our corresponding video of Kicki and I preparing these snacks in the kitchen at ndsmcobserver.com.

Both recipes are adapted from AllRecipes.com.

Buffalo Chicken Dip

Serves eight

Ingredients

1.5 pounds grilled chicken, chopped and shredded

16 ounces cream cheese, softened

1 cup ranch dressing

¾ cup hot sauce

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Nachos and/or crackers for serving

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread shredded chicken in a large baking dish. Pour ranch dressing and hot sauce over the chicken. Add in cream cheese and one cup of the cheddar cheese. With a large spoon, break up and stir mixture in the pan. Sprinkle the remaining cup of cheddar cheese over the mixture. Bake in the oven 25-30 minutes, until bubbling. Remove and let cool for five minutes. Serve with nachos or crackers.

No-Bake Cocoa Peanut Butter Cookies

Makes 24 cookies

Ingredients

2 cups white sugar

½ cup butter

½ cup milk

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

2/3 cup smooth peanut butter

3 cups quick cooking oats

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions

Place a large sheet of wax paper on a baking sheet or kitchen counter. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, butter, milk and cocoa. Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches a rolling boil. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let it cool for a minute. Stir in the peanut butter until smooth. Add the oats and vanilla, stirring until mixed in well. Using a spoon, ice cream scoop or cookie dropper, drop heaping tablespoons onto the wax paper. Allow the cookies to cool completely before serving.