Group extends GRC reforms

Student Senate discussed the complete overhaul planned for the College Hookups, Alcohol and Sexual Assault education program, known as College HAS Issues, at Wednesday's meeting.

Student body vice president Katie Rose said the Gender Relations Center (GRC) wanted to foster a spirit of care on campus with the reformation of the program.

"The GRC is basically planning to change everything about it," Rose said. "They want to focus on community safety within the dorms, being our brother's or sister's keeper. The overall goal is to illustrate a positive, healthy social life, define sexual misconduct, identify risky behavior and make known the resources that are available."

Class of 2014 president Lizzie Helping said educating students about Indiana state laws in College HAS Issues would help to create a safer environment at Notre Dame.

"With regards to the state laws about alcohol, is there any way we could give the freshmen a packet with the rules?" Helping said. "It's one thing to hear about them, but it's another to actually remember them."

Rose said she shared this concern because many students coming from other states are unaware of Indiana state laws pertaining to alcohol.

"The state laws and rules about alcohol are not explicitly talked about [in the program]," Rose said. "A portion of the content of College HAS Issues is actually federally mandated, but we're making sure to get that and additional state information to students without it being so stigmatized."

Pangborn Hall senator Emily Pollard said the GRC plans to make a short video about Indiana state laws to address the issue. Pollard is currently working with the center to implement changes to College HAS Issues.

Looking ahead to the upcoming turnover, student union treasurer Alexa Shaw announced her search for a successor.

"We are looking for a new treasurer, so I encourage all of you and your friends to apply," Shaw said. "It is more skewed towards finance and accounting majors, but we're opening it up to all majors."

Student body president Brett Rocheleau encouraged the Ssenate to recruit candidates for the position.

"This is a great opportunity, especially for business majors, to run a budget of about $850,000," Rocheleau said. "This year is unique because you could become the student union treasurer right away without having to be an assistant treasurer first."

Rocheleau also reported a positive meeting with the Community/Campus Advisory Coalition (CCAC) on Jan. 29.

"[Tuesday] I went to the CCAC meeting to talk to police forces and neighborhoods," Rocheleau said. "Everything is going good, everyone's happy."

Department of community relations director Kelsey Eckenrode asked senators to encourage their neighbors to attend CommUniversity Day, which is set for Saturday, April 6.

"It's a day-long event, and we're trying to get well over 1,000 participants," Eckenrode said. "Previous years have had from 700-1,000 participants in the past, so it shouldn't be too difficult if you spread the word in your dorms."

Contact Maddie Daly at mdaly6@nd.edu