Coccia, Romeo tickets set to compete in runoff election

Two tickets in this year's student body elections - the Coccia-Joyce ticket and the Romeo-Hootsmans ticket - will compete again in a runoff election Monday, the Judicial Council announced this morning.
Juniors Alex Coccia and Nancy Joyce will debate juniors Dominic Romeo and Philip Hootsmans on Sunday evening at 8 p.m., and the Council will circulate a link by email Monday to vote from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
The Council delayed the results of Wednesday's election twice, first holding the results until Thursday morning and then again until this morning at 10 a.m., for allegations of campaign misconduct. The Election Committee met twice to address a total of three allegations, which were all dismissed, vice president of elections Katie Hennessy said.
With 4,421 valid votes recorded, a ticket needed to receive 2,211 votes  more than 50 percent  to win in this round of the election.
The Coccia-Joyce ticket received 1,587 votes; the Romeo-Hootsmans ticket, 1,024. Because no one earned a majority, their tickets proceed to the runoff as those with the greatest number of votes.
Junior Michael Masi and sophomore Tim Scanlan received 814 votes, sophomores Billy Christy and Pat Roemer earned 608 votes, freshmen Kevin Salat and Pat Mascarenhas took 132 votes and freshmen Austin O'Brien and Nick Boggess received 68 votes. The remaining 188 voters who cast their ballots chose to abstain.
Coccia said he and Joyce were looking forward to competing in the runoff election.
"We're excited," Coccia said. "One thing we all talked about is how great it is there were so many tickets for people to choose from. Both [remaining] tickets are looking forward to preparing for and participating in the runoff."
Hootsmans said his ticket appreciated the support for the ideas on the platform he and Romeo had created.
"First, thank you to all the students who voted," Hootsmans said. "We're glad to be one of the tickets in the runoff. It shows that both [remaining] tickets have good ideas and a lot of students support their proposals."