Center grants funding for summer

Although deadlines for many summer programs have passed, LoriAnnEdinborough, program director of the Global Internship Initiative at the Career Center, said students can still find internships through the Center.

Edinborough said the Go IRISH system, accessible on the Career Center website, is a good place to start and offers internships applicable to a number of careers.

"The internships range the full gamut of functions and industries from film post-production in Chicago, to investment research analyst in Connecticut, to business development in South Bend," Edinborough said.

Aside from the Career Center website, Edinborough said potential interns can find openings on websites such as Internship.com and InternMatch.com. She said students can also create unique internship opportunities for themselves. 

"Some types of internships that students want might not be posted online anywhere, so we work a lot with students on how to create your own internship, too," Edinborough said. "The Non-Profit Virtual Career Fair also connects interns with organizations, accessible on the Jobs/Internships tab of Go IRISH."

The Career Center grants funding for students interested in customizing their own internships, Edinborough said. Applications for this funding are on the Career Center's website and the deadline is April 19. Edinborough said students can receive up to $3,000 for unpaid internships and up to $1,000 for paid internships. 

Summer opportunities ought to focus on developing the skills employers want to see, including communication skills, personal initiative and strong work ethic, Edinborough said. 

"During the summer, try to think about how to incorporate enhancing some of those skills," she said.

Edinborough said students should also pursue job-shadowing opportunities, conduct mock interviews and network. 

"Statistics say 70 to 80 percent of jobs are not posted, they are developed through networking," Edinborough said. "The same logic applies to internships."

Edinborough said it may be difficult to find an internship that fits a person perfectly, but for those who show initiative and can navigate the various career search sites, summer internships present a stellar chance to bolster a résumé and develop job skills. 

"The bottom line is to connect with the Career Center," Edinborough said. "It's no exaggeration to say that as far as internship opportunities, they have it covered."