Men's Basketball Predictions

By ANDREW GASTELUM
Editor-in-Chief

I've never seen an Irish team go into the NCAA tournament with such confidence. After the performance against Marquette, I can see why. But the NCAA tournament is really something else. The Irish should be able to push past . Looming next would be Ohio State, who looks downright scary. But if the Irish get out of Dayton alive, the tournament really opens up for them. But then again, they shouldn't think they can just run through Dayton, or else their run will be through fast.

PREDICTION: Notre Dame loses to Ohio State in the third round.

By MIKE MONACO
Sports Editor

Notre Dame returned everyone important from last season's tournament squad, a No. 7 seed. The Irish struggled at times but made it to the Big East semifinals for a fourth consecutive season. So an experienced squad should be poised for a deep run, right?  I just can't take the bait. The Irish are in a tough spot as a No. 7 seed, especially with Ohio State lurking. Notre Dame hasn't won multiple NCAA tournament games since 2003. This year will be more of the same.

By ALLAN JOSEPH
Senior Sports Writer

Notre Dame is going to have to prove it to me. With four straight early exits at the hands of 10 or 11 seeds, the Irish just can't seem to get it together in the Big Dance. Notre Dame isn't built to play at the tempo Iowa State is going to bring to the floor, and even if the Irish somehow get past the Cyclones, Ohio State will put a quick end to Sweet 16 dreams. It's not that Jerian Grant, Eric Atkins and Jack Cooley aren't capable of leading a deep run in theory. It's that they're going to have to prove they can actually do it.

PREDICTION: Notre Dame loses to Iowa State in the second round.

By ANDREW OWENS
Senior Sports Writer

How far can the Irish go? Iowa State - a deep squad that is dangerous beyond the arc - provides a difficult test for a Notre Dame team looking to avoid three one-and-done NCAA tournament appearances in four years (the Irish topped No. 15 seed Akron in 2010). Everything points to the Irish getting bounced against the Cyclones or Ohio State in its backyard, but I think Notre Dame is ready for the task and will advance to Los Angeles next weekend for the program's first Sweet 16 since 2003.

PREDICTION: Notre Dame loses to Arizona in the Sweet 16.

By CHRIS ALLEN
Senior Sports Writer

Irish coach Mike Brey touched on an important point in his Selection Sunday press conference - his team played with a confidence and sureness befitting a veteran team last week in New York. The squad now enters the NCAA tournament with similar experience. The backcourt of Eric Atkins and Jerian Grant should get the Irish through at least the opening contest against Iowa State. But Ohio State? In Dayton? The road ends there. Still, a very positive season for Brey's bunch.

PREDICTION: Notre Dame loses to Ohio State in third round.