Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Men's Golf: Despite inclement weather, Irish finish in top five

After finishing last in a field of 15 teams last week, the Irish redeemed themselves and finished tied for fourth out of 32 teams at the C&F Bank Intercollegiate in Williamsburg, Va

The Irish finished with a total score of 289, with two players, freshman Corey Sciupider and junior Andrew Lane, shooting under 70. 

Weather proved to be a major setback throughout the tournament. Snow cancelled Monday's round and eventually cut the tournament to one round as opposed toinstead of the three scheduled rounds. 

Teams unable to complete their 18 holes Sunday night were scheduled to resume today at 12:30 p.m. The Irish, however, finished the entirety of their first round Sunday and were able to return home early on Tuesday.

"We've played in worse [weather] over the years, but it was a challenge this weekend for players to keep some feeling in their hands, which is vital for all shots," Kubinski said. "We teed off at 38 degrees with a wind-chill of about 30."

Sciupider tied for first place overall, firing a three-under 67. 

"He's an extremely talented, high-ceiling player," Kubinski said. "That's something that was obvious from the moment I saw him. He will continue to grow and improve as he continues to work at it."

Lane, meanwhile, shot a two-under 68 and finished tied for third place.  Together, Sciupider and Lane give the Irish more high-caliber depth, Kubinski said.

"[Junior] Niall [Platt] and [senior] Paul [McNamara III] have led us often but you need four scores in college golf," Kubinski said. "Having Cory and Andrew playing as they did gives us great confidence moving forward."

Platt and McNamara both shot 77s and tied for 91st

Kubinski said he believes his two top players, Platt and McNamara, will pick it up as the weather warms, as they are both from California. In the meantime, Kubinski said he is excited to see what Lane and Sciupider will do the rest of the season. 

"We're just trying to get out on grass and get rounds in. We need more reps and more opportunities," Kubinski said. "We're thinking about Irish Creek right now."

Next, the Irish will travel to Kannapolis, N.C., for the Irish Creek Collegiate, which begins Saturday and concludes Sunday. 

Contact Meredith Kelly at mkelly29@nd.edu