Senate discusses course changes

Notre Dame's Academic Council will soon vote on changes to the Undergraduate Academic code, and University Registrar Chuck Hurley introduced the proposed revisions to the code to the Student Senate Wednesday evening. The biggest change proposed is the adjustment of standard course times beginning in Fall 2013, he said.

"For the benefit of the students, senior associate provost Chris Maziar has come up with more optimized schedule times," Hurley said.  

The changes mostly focus on the 75-minute classes, Hurley said.

"On Mondays and Wednesdays right now there are two large open blocks between 9:15 a.m. and 11:45 a.m.," Hurley said.  "This was because in the late [1970s], the provost office reserved that time for faculty departmental meetings, which have long since been moved.  We're making two new slots available for 75-minute classes that weren't there before."

Hurley said they will also align the 75-minute class times on Monday and Wednesday with those on Tuesday and Thursday.  These changes will result in a major decrease in the amount of schedule conflicts, going from seven to three, Hurley said. The earliest class start time will shift from 8:30 a.m. to 8:20 a.m.
The reason for the adjustment of standard class times has to do with the availability of classrooms, according to Hurley.

"There are 155 classroomsat the University," Hurley said. "None are available basically between 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m., but outside of that block there are lots available.    We have required all faculty members to abide by standard class times unless they have approval from our office to schedule non-standardized classes."  

Off-campus president Katie Kehl also introduced a new resolution to dissolve the position of off-campus senator.  

"I feel that the position of off-campus senator is redundant," Kehl said.  "As the off-campus president, I sit in on senate and the off-campus senator comes to meetings and reports to me. We essentially have the same information coming to us from senate."

Kehl said she does not see the removal of the position to be a disadvantage for off campus students due to decreased representation because of the class president and the off-campus president.  

Student body vice president Katie Rose suggested directing Kehl's resolution to the Office of Internal Affairs.

"I think having the Office of Internal Affairs come speak to Senate would be beneficial because of the complexity of this resolution," Rose said.  

With their term coming to a close in less than two weeks, the senators decided to postpone their decision until after hearing from the Office of Internal Affairs.
Director of Constituent Services Liza Manfred announced an upcoming event regarding hall apparel.

"Tuesday and Wednesday of next week in the Sorin Room of [LaFortune Student Center] from 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. we will be holding a sale of old dorm

apparel," Manfred said.  "If you haven't already, contact your hall president and bring your apparel to me by Monday night.  Also go on Facebook and check out the event to spread the word."