Service honors McGonigal

A memorial service will be held today at 11 a.m. for senior staff assistant for media relations Susan McGonigal, who passed away Friday evening.

The service will take place in the Monogram Room of the Joyce Center and a light lunch will follow, a press release from senior associate athletic director John Heisler stated.

McGonigal was employed by the University for 35 years and was in her 19th year as senior staff assistant, according to her profile on the Notre Dame Athletics website. Her duties included organizing football and basketball game-day procedures, ticket allotment distribution, budget reconciliation, and organizing travel and catering needs for the department staff, the profile stated.  

Instead of sending flowers, mourners are invited to consider donating to Heartland Hospice Services or Pet Refuge in McGonigal's memory, the release stated.

McGonigal served as vice president of the Notre Dame Staff Advisory Council and was a member of the Ad Hoc Committee on Women's Issues, Benefits Committee and Promotions Committee, her profile stated. She was also involved with the Safety Committee and Holiday Planning Committee for the Athletic Department.

McGonigal, a South Bend native, is survived by her husband Sean and daughter Chelsea.