Women's Basketball Predictions

By MATTHEW ROBISON
Sports Writer           

The Irish will make their third consecutive appearance in the Final Four and the national championship game. But for the third straight year, the Irish will fall in the final. Barring an injury or serious foul trouble in a game to one of Baylor's three best players - Brittney Griner, Destiny Williams and Odyssey Sims - I don't see any way to slow down the Lady Bears. Maybe Diggins and the Irish can prove me wrong and bring home the title, but I see another title-game loss.

PREDICTION: Notre Dame loses to Baylor in the title game.

By CORY BERNARD
Sports Writer

This Irish team lacks the experience of the squads who made it to the national championship in 2011 and 2012 but they have the talent to match. With the nation's best point guard playing in her final NCAA tournament, Notre Dame will make a third straight Final Four appearance against rival Connecticut. Although the Irish will beat the Huskies for the fourth time this season in yet another close game, their streak will end the same way it did last season: at the hands of Brittney Griner.

By VICKY JACOBSEN
Sports Writer

When the bracket was announced, some Irish fans complained that Notre Dame could play Iowa in Iowa City in the second round. I don't see the problem; if the Irish can beat Connecticut in Hartford, they'll be fine. Duke has played better than expected without point guard Chelsea Gray, and the Gamecocks are a solid fourth seed. Still, the Irish can beat them, and Notre Dame has become the Huskies' recurring nightmare. But if Odyssey Sims is healthy and Brittney Griner is still 6-foot-8, the Bears are nearly unbeatable.

By BRIAN HARTNETT
Sports Writer

Owners of a 26-game winning streak, Notre Dame enters the tournament poised for a third straight Final Four appearance. Despite a tough regional, the veteran leadership of SkylarDiggins and Kayla McBride should propel the Irish to New Orleans, where they should knock off Connecticut again. But Notre Dame's last obstacle will also be its most difficult - Baylor. Although the title game will be closer than last year's, the Irish still have no answer for Brittney Griner and a dominant Bears offense.

By SAMANTHA ZUBA
Sports Writer

The Irish are heavily favored as a No. 1 seed in a tournament that rarely has crazy upsets, so the real test will come in the title game.  Notre Dame would likely face either Stanford or Baylor for the championship. Notre Dame has the best chance in a title game matchup with Stanford, as the Irish have struggled to keep games close against Baylor. The Cardinal will get past the Bears in shocking fashion before falling to the Irish. McGraw will earn her second title.   

PREDICTION: Notre Dame defeats Stanford in the title game.