All's Fair in Love and Tag

By MARGARET WAICKMAN

Scene Writer

The fifth consecutive semester of WVFI's Notre Dame's Humans versus Zombies games begins next Tuesday, April 9. Humans versus Zombies is an epic, five-day game of tag. "Zombies" attempt to tag all "humans" and turn them into zombies; humans avoid getting tagged and defend themselves using Nerf guns and socks, which can stun zombies.

If Nerf guns, zombies, and tag aren't enough enticement for you to sign up, then consider signing up for the opportunity to meet new people. Sean Brady, junior, and Alexandra Amorati, sophomore, joined Humans versus Zombies for the fun, but ultimately got a relationship out of this large-scale game of tag.

Sean Brady has been playing Humans versus Zombies since his freshmen year. He and his roommates have become Humans versus Zombies veterans. They go all out for the games. They buy three hundred Nerf gun darts, stay away from the dining halls all week, and research Nerf gun shooting distances. The walls of their dorm rooms are covered in zombie posters and a map of campus clearly marking the locations of their allies. "We take it seriously," said Brady. For this quad, playing the game seriously yields in serious fun and serious wins. Spring semester last year, Poseidon and Apollo (the HvZ aliases Sean and a roommate go by) won Humans versus Zombies.

Alexandra Amorati is newer to the game. Her first serious HvZ was last spring, when Poseidon and Apollo won. During the game, Amorati and her friends got to know Poseidon and Apollo and their rather extreme tactics. Once the game concluded and the boys took home a victory, Amorati was determined to beat them in future. Amorati and friends attempted to find out as much as possible about these mysterious figures. They were able to uncover Poseidon and Apollos' year and dorm, but were unable to figure out their real names.

The pair remained a mystery until Amorati and her friend spotted Poseidon and Apollo at Reckers late on Friday night. Amorati was sure that the two were the infamous Poseidon and Apollo, because, even though it was weeks after the game, Poseidon was still carrying the orange bandana sported by all HvZ players in his jeans pocket. 

Brady recalled, "As I was leaving Reckers, I heard people yelling my Humans versus Zombies call sign." Amorati and her friend proceeded to relay all the information they had gathered about Poseidon and Apollo. They all ended up exchanging phone numbers. "Within a couple days, he asked me on a coffee date. We started hanging out, and the rest is history," said Amorati. Brady and Amorati, now a year later, are still dating.

When asked why students should get involved in HvZ, Amorati said, "Definitely for the people. Sure, there are people like Sean and his friends who take it super seriously, but there are also casual players. Chill people who are willing to go out at night carrying Nerf guns. People who just don't care that much what other people think about them. That's who everyone wants to be friends with."

Students interested in playing tag, acting like a zombie, and making new friends can sign up at wvfi.nd.edu/hvz. Registration is open until midnight tonight. The game runs from Tuesday, April 9 to Saturday, April 13. 

On the fence about signing up? Don't overthink it. Just do it. Follow Sean Brady's advice, "It's always fun to play with Nerf guns. And, you never know. You might meet someone."

Contact Margaret Waickman at mwaickma@nd.edu