ND Women's Golf: Golfers end regular season

In their final regular-season tournament, the Irish placed eighth at the three-day SMU Dallas Athletic Club Invitational.
The No. 23 Irish finished with a team total of 935 (319-309-307), 71 strokes over par. The Irish improved with each round, and their final round of 307 - which tied them with No. 35 Denver ⎯ was the fourth-best in the field.
"We got better each day we played," Irish coach Susan Holt said. "I was pleased that the third day was our best round."
The weather and course conditions had significant effects on the Irish throughout the entire tournament, Holt said.
"The weather conditions were very tough, and it was windy the whole tournament," Holt said. "The course conditions and pin placements were difficult as well."
On top of inclement weather and harsh course conditions, freshman Lindsey Weaver was unable to play in the tournament due to illness. The Irish had to play with only four players. The pressure was on, Holt said.
"There is pressure playing with only four players because every score counts and the girls have to fight through it," Holt said.
After the first day of play, the Irish found themselves in 11th place, just one stroke behind tenth place Louisville. No. 74 Ashley Armstrong, a sophomore, led the way for the Irish with a 6-over-par score of 78, which placed her 31st overall.
The Irish finished the second round of the tournament in eighth place. They passed Big East rival Louisville by eight strokes on Saturday. Armstrong played another solid round with a 1-over-par score of 73 to climb into ninth place. Freshman Talia Campbell concluded the day with a 4-over-effort of 76 and moved up from 41st place to 28th place overall.
On the last day of play, the Irish finished strong with a score of 307, but it was No. 19 Oklahoma State that took home the gold. Campbell tied for 10th place overall, he fourth top-10 finish of this season. She had four birdies and 10 pars during the final round to gain her fifth even or better score of the season.
Armstrong achieved her fourth consecutive top-25 finish and eleventh of her career with a 14-over-par score of 230 (78-73-79) to tie for 16th place.
"Ashley and Talia finishing so well in this tournament was certainly a highlight," Holt said.
After completing this last regular-season tournament, the Irish now turn their focus to the Big East tournament.
"It was tough getting through the weather conditions and only having four players, but with all things considered, we got through it and are now looking forward to the Big East tournament," Holt said.
With a couple weeks to get ready, the Irish are in preparation mode, Holt said.
"We need to get Lindsey healthy, and preparations will depend on the weather," Holt said. "We will prepare either way."
The Irish commence their postseason at the Big East championship in Orlando, Fla., at the Reunion Resort and Golf Club. The tournament will begin April 21 and conclude April 23.
Contact Kit Loughran at kloughr1@nd.edu