SMC Tennis: Saint Mary's sweeps Adrian

Coming off a close conference win against Alma in Michigan, the Belles hosted Adrian on Tuesday at the Saint Mary's tennis courts and dominated 6-0 to extend their win streak to three.

The Belles (9-5, 4-1 MIAA) swept their three doubles matches, as No. 1 doubles led by junior Mary Catherine Faller and sophomore Kayle Sexton won 8-2. Belles coach Dale Campbell was impressed at his team's sweep and said this success resulted from the early aggressiveness in match play.

"We basically played aggressively and took control from the start of doubles which led to the decisive victory," Campbell said.

The Belles also excelled in their singles matches, where they won three contests. Campbell was especially pleased at Sexton and sophomore Jackie Kjolhede's singles performances against Adrian (7-9, 0-5).

"No. 2 doubles played excellent and Kayle Sexton had a convincing match at No. 2 singles, as well as Jackie Kjolhede at No. 5 singles," Campbell said.  

The match was stopped with three singles contests halted, because the Belles had won six match points out of nine possible. Campbell said this was unfortunate for the Belles because the cancelled matches had been close.

"I was pleased with the match results, yet we had three unfinished matches and they were close," Campbell said.

Campbell also added his team wasn't too excited about the win as Adrian was one of the least competitive teams on the Belles schedule.

"It was a match where we had to take care of business as the first goal and try to improve for our upcoming matches," Campbell said. "We will play perhaps the No. 1 team in the conference this Saturday at Hope so we have to get ready for that."

The Belles will prepare to take on their hardest conference opponent thus far when they face Hope, who is undefeated in MIAA play, on Saturday at the DeWitt Tennis Center in Holland, Mich.

Contact D.H. Kim at dkim16@nd.edu