Cuevas receives Outstanding Senior Award

Saint Mary's senior Silvia Cuevas, a business major with concentrations in finance and international business, received the Outstanding Senior Award for her work as a student exemplifying the spirit and values of the College. 

According to a College press release, the Alumnae Association Board bestows the award to a senior who worked to embody the "heart of the College" during her four years. Director of media relations Gwen O'Brien said the Outstanding Senior Award is one of three honors bestowed on seniors who personified qualities essentially Saint Mary's."As the valedictorian represents the mind and the Lumen Christi Award recipient reflects the soul, the Outstanding Senior Award embodies the heart of Saint Mary's," O'Brien said "Silvia's combination of intelligence, spirit and determination are what make her stand out as she graduates."

Cuevas, a native of Hammond, Ind., has been involved in many different activities on campus throughout her four years at Saint Mary's, culminating in her term as senior class president this year.  

"I found my niche with Student Government, the Intercultural Leadership Progra, and the Spark Program," Cuevas said. "People are right about Saint Mary's: small campus, big opportunities."

Class of 2013 vice president Ambreen Ahmad said Cuevas perfectly embodies the mission of the Colleg..

"Silvia really encourages people to strive to do anything they set their hearts to," Ahmad said.  "She has such a positive spirit and is not afraid of any challenge."

Cuevas said she enjoyed forming relationships with different professors and faculty who have inspired her during her four years at Saint Mary's. 

Mana Derakhshani, assistant director of the Center for Women's Intercultural Leadership and Intercultural Leadership Certificate chair, said Cuevas was a joy to have in the program because she was willing to offer her insights onghow to create a more inclusive community

"I have extremely high hopes for Silvia," Derakhshani said. "With her skills at working with others, organizing projects and her passion for bringing about justice, she will change whatever context she is in for the better."

Jill Vihtelic, professor of business, said she shared that high degree of respect for Cuevas after knowing her as both her professor and academic advisor.

"Silvia has an infectious smile that warms the classroom climate and invites others to participate," Vihtelic said.  "I expect Silvia to do very well in her future, for her the sky is the limit."

Cuevas said after graduation she will join the Target team in Minneapolis as a Business Analyst. 

"I would eventually like to become the Mayor of Hammond and get involved with the economic development in Northwest Indiana," Cuevas said.  "I cannot wait to return to where I'm from with corporate experience under my belt to make my neighborhood a better place for future generations."

Cuevas said she will miss Saint Mary's, which will remain one of her favorite chapters.in her life.

Contact Kelly Konya at kkonya01@saintmarys.edu