A year of exciting progress

Welcome back to campus.
This year is sure to be an exciting one for everyone on campus - freshmen, in your first year as a part of the Notre Dame family; sophomores, in further exploration of your passions and academic interests; juniors, in leadership positions, international experiences and greater commitment to your career or post-graduate aspirations; and seniors, in your final year as Notre Dame students and in your post-graduate discernment process.
This year, your student government is focused on effective communication, high-quality innovation, increased collaboration and a more pervasive sense of inclusion.  We have been hard at work over the summer and are looking forward to working with you this year.
We have proposed the addition of a coffee cart to DeBartolo Hall and are currently working with administrators to determine the feasibility and logistics of this proposal. Through frequent conversations with Food Services, we have expressed our desire to reform Grab 'N' Go. Students will begin to see changes, such as the addition of hot soup, salads and larger sandwiches, this fall.
In an effort to connect students to administrators, we have created monthly town hall-style events at which administrators will speak to students and answer questions on issues such as the new Office of Community Standards, mental health on campus and food services.
We have also increased student government's national visibility through our active involvement with the National Campus Leadership Council. After meeting with several student body presidents and vice presidents from across the country, we have joined a task force dealing with college affordability. More recently, student government has voiced its ongoing support for the University's decision to admit undocumented students to campus, and we remain committed to advocating for national comprehensive immigration reform.
Closer to home, we are engaged in efforts to increase student participation in South Bend community life. First-year students have an opportunity to attend a South Bend Silver Hawks game on Sept. 5, where they will meet Mayor Pete Buttigieg.
Finally, we have made significant progress in our internal operations and communications thanks to Catherine Kromkowski and OIT for their work in creating our new website, studentgovernment.nd.edu.
Our commitment to utilizing the passion and creativity of Notre Dame students has resulted in a new student government brand standard and logo, thanks to senior Jeff McLean for his innovation, creativity and hard work.
We are committed to serving you in any way. Please know we always want to listen to your ideas and concerns. Contact us or any of our cabinet members should you wish to voice your thoughts.
Feel free to visit us in our office in 203 LaFortune (we have candy) or find us in Starbucks. Our doors are always open.
Good luck with the first week of classes, and "Go Irish."

Alex Coccia
student body president
Nancy Joyce
student body vice president

Juan Rangel
student body chief of staff