Fall TV Preview

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

The gang is back and hasn't lost a step, even if a good deal of their material is starting to focus on their growing age. Season nine of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" premiered on Sept. 4 on FX's spinoff comedy network, FXX. The season premiere reportedly had the lowest number of viewers in the series' history, but as more and more people become familiar with the new network, that should return to normal. And if the season continues in the same wickedly hilarious form as the premiere, "The Gang Broke Dee," in which the gang breaks Dee's spirit, repairs it and then destroys it again, this season will be a must-watch yet again.

New Girl

The hit Fox comedy "New Girl" follows the life of the quirky, awkward and youthful Jess played by ZooeyDeschanel living with her three male roommates, Nick, Schmidt and Winston. All of season two we saw the fluctuating budding romance between Nick and Jess, which was solidified in the season two finale. For the season three premiere, we would like to see some answers to the finale's seriously frustrating questions. For example, is Schmidt going to choose between the seemingly unattainable model Cece and his college ex and down to earth Elizabeth? How serious is Jess's relationship with Nick going to be? Where did they go at the end of the finale, anyway? Will Winston ever be anything more than an immature jokester? I hope for the sake of comic relief that the last question is a no. Check out the new season of "New Girl" on Sept. 17.  

The Walking Dead

AMC's "The Walking Dead" will be back for its fourth season on Oct. 13. As the title suggests, the show follows a group of survivors as they contend with a world where a strange disease has turned almost everyone into zombies. While this might sound like a low-budget, sci-fi gore-fest, it's actually the most-watched basic cable drama of all time. The show spectacularly combines a well-written, always-fresh storyline with riveting action. This season, while still contending with the undead, the characters will struggle to define the line between morality and pragmatism as they decide who to bring into the fold and who to hold in suspicion. The show airs at 9:00 p.m. on Sundays. 

Once Upon a Time

Disney magic takes on a more dramatic form on ABC's "Once Upon a Time," returning on Sept. 29 at 8:00 p.m. Although this show borrows its characters from familiar fairytales, its complex plot, character development and flashback-style reminiscent of "Lost" keep even devoted Andersen and Grimm fans on their toes. The upcoming season promises a new dark twist on a beloved fairytale. As the still-youthful show is entering a third season, its plot and writing remain fresh, so newbies can easily catch up on Netflix. If three seasons of "Once Upon a Time" aren't enough, Oct. 10 marks the debut of the new spin-off series, "Once Upon a Time in Wonderland." 

Bob's Burgers

Fox's animated series returns for a fourth season coming off of its biggest season yet. The consistently funny, fresh show features the vocal talents of superstar H. Jon Benjamin and alternative comedians Eugene Mirman and Dan Mintz. Throughout its run, the show has succeeded on its unique rhythm of dialog between its cast and the sincerity in the portrayal of its central characters. This includes Bob Belcher, played by Benjamin, who runs a Burger joint, and his wife and three kids, who help but usually get in the way. The writers often deftly parody many classic movies, which should continue throughout this season. They also know how to put together a song, as the show features the best original soundtrack of its time. "Bob's Burgers" premieres at 8:30 p.m. on Sept. 29.

Doctor Who

"Geronimo!" The fans of the world's longest-running science fiction drama are preparing for what could be the most intense series of Doctor Who ever. While the eighth series does not actually begin until 2014, excitement in the Doctor Who community has been building up for a celebratory special airing this fall. The Doctor, played by Matt Smith for the past three series, is a 953-year-old Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey who travels through space and time in a blue police box known as the TARDIS, saving people from distress and destruction. Various companions accompany him along the way, both learning about the universe and having fun with the unique character. In the eighth series, the greatest secret of the Doctor will be revealed: his true name. The 50th anniversary special will air in 3D worldwide Nov. 23, 2013 at 2:00 p.m. on BBC America and in select theaters.

Parenthood

Due to a shortened fourth season and the possibility of a series cancellation, the news of a renewal for season five of "Parenthood" was greatly celebrated by avid fans of the show. This critically acclaimed drama revolves around the Braverman family and how the four siblings and their families interact with one another. Think "Modern Family" with more serious undertones and subject matter. Each hour invokes laughter and tears, leaving its audience emotionally drained every week. Premiering Sept. 26, the upcoming season promises a new addition to the family, possible wedding bells and Ray Romano returning as Hank. Though back at school, enjoy "family night" with the Bravermans Thursdays at 10 p.m. on NBC.

Elementary

This modern retelling of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's classic returns to CBS on Sept. 26 at 10:00 p.m. The show follows the investigations of Sherlock Holmes and his protégé, Joan Watson, on the streets of New York City. Last season left the two detectives recovering from the aftermath of defeating Sherlock's nemesis, Moriarity. The season two premiere is set to feature a trip to London where two more stand-bys of Sherlock tradition should appear. Both Mycroft Holmes and Inspector Lestrade are featured in the episode. It should be fun to see what twists the show has for these two characters. The second season is rumored to feature further exploration of Watson's past as well as the possible return of Irene Adler (Moriarity). Watch on Thursdays at 10:00 p.m. on CBS to find out!