SMC Golf: Belles prep for Kalamazoo

After finishing in second place at the first MIAA jamboree on Tuesday, Saint Mary's heads back to the links Saturday for round two at Milham Park Golf Club in Kalamazoo, Mich.

Kalamazoo, led by sophomore Maria Oleski, who shot a 95 in the first competition will host this round.

As with the other three jamborees this season, all nine conference teams will compete this weekend, giving the Belles a chance to see their competition before heading to the two-round MIAA End of Season Weekend Jamboree on Oct. 11 and 12.

The Saint Mary's squad has not competed at Milham Park since 2011, when it took second place at that year's fourth jamboree. Only senior Paige Pollak and junior Janice Heffernan have experience on the Milham course as Belles.

Olivet, which claimed last year's MIAA title, led the field Tuesday with a team score of 329, 12 strokes better than Saint Mary's 341. Calvin sat six strokes back in third place.

Olivet senior Theresa Damico earned medalist honors Tuesday with her first-place score of 78.

Pollak tied for second place individually with her round of 80, the best score of the five Saint Mary's golfers who played. However, only the scores of the top-four golfers will count towards the overall team score in this series of jamborees.

Each round in the four, one-round jamborees and the two-round final jamboree will help determine the Belles' overall finish in the conference through their cumulative six-round score.

The Belles will tee off for the second round of MIAA play Saturday at 1 p.m. at Milham Park Golf Club in Kalamazoo, Mich.