Scene Fall Break Plans

By KEVIN NOONAN
Scene Editor
I finished my third test in four days on Monday, just in time to start my second essay in three days so I can get to work on my God-knows-how-many group project in God-knows-how-many days, and it all has to get done by Friday when fall break starts or I fail and everybody hates me and GOD, WHY AM I SO STUPID.
Needless to say, I'm a little wound up. And I know I'm not alone. I overheard a full conversation on the merits of the different flavors of Five Hour Energy, and anyone under normal circumstances would know that every Five Hour Energy is "I Can Feel Myself Slowly Dying from Drinking This" flavored.
So, what's my idea of an ideal fall break?
Some people might say Vegas, but my idea of "break" isn't exactly bright shining lights, late nights and losing every dollar in my pocket. Maybe I'm biased by the fact that I'm the worst gambler in the history of cards, but I think Vegas would just stress me out.
Others might visit friends at other colleges, and I've done that in the past. But after visiting friends once or twice and getting all the material I'll ever need to make jokes about fraternities, I'm not exactly on board that train either.
No, my ideal fall break is a 10-hour drive or a two-and-a-half-hour train ride and an hour or so flight away - home. The only thing in between me and my warm bed and home-cooked food is 50 million tests, papers and projects, but I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it can't get here fast enough.
Contact Kevin Noonan at
knoonan2@nd.edu

***

By MADDIE DALY
Associate Scene Editor
As a junior trying to graduate on time with two majors and a minor, find a summer internship and attempt to maintain even the slightest morsel of sanity, ideally, I would spend my fall break at home, curled up with some Netflix and home-cooked food, doing absolutely nothing requiring too much strenuous brain activity.
Also ideally, I would be already done with my four midterms and not sick with a cold and pink eye in both eyes, but, hey, we can't always get what we want. That said, I still will be going home for fall break, but my brain will be quite busy applying for internships, catching up on all the reading I haven't done, writing two papers and completing one presentation. Some break.
Regardless of all my complaining, I am eternally grateful to Notre Dame for giving us an entire week off to regain our energy lost during the first tiresome half of the semester. I just can't imagine spending that break actually having fun - unless we're talking about next year, because then I'll be in Vegas.
Contact Maddie Daly at
mdaly6@nd.edu