SUB consults students, anticipates spring

Senior KaitlynKeelin, executive director of the Student Union Board (SUB), said the group strongly emphasized consulting students to determine the organization's offerings this semester.

"We've been focusing on getting more student input and collecting a lot of data so that we can plan events that students want to see on campus," Keelin said.

SUB's most-attended event of the semester was Comedy on the Quad, in which comedian Jim Gaffigan drew approximately 4,000 students to his performance on South Quad, Keelin said. She said other popular SUB events included a presentation by "Breaking Bad" star R.J. Mitte, a Legends stand-up comedy performance by SNL'sNasimPedrad and a Legends concert featuring Eric Hutchinson.

Keelin said SUB's biggest challenge was a lack of participation in the Purdue Ticket Lottery. She said SUB purchased the tickets from the Athletic Department at face value last spring, so they lost out when reduced-price tickets became widely available from other sources, such as StubHub.

The final SUB event of the semester, Stress Relievers, will take place Sunday from 6 to 8 p.m. in the Notre Dame Room and the ballroom of the LaFortune Student Center, Keelin said. The event will feature free food, energy drinks and massages, she said. Keelin said the spring semester will feature several large-scale events, including the Collegiate Jazz Festival, the Notre Dame Literary Festival, the Holy Half, The SUB Concert and AnTostal week. 

Next semester, SUB will also distribute frequent moviegoer passes that enable students who regularly attend SUB movies to earn free admission, Keelin said. 

Keelin said the spring's kick-off event will be a fireside talk and a networking reception with Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian.

Grade: B+

SUB brought some interesting acts to campus so far, but the money they lost in the Purdue Ticket Lottery may affect next semester's programming.

Contact Christian Myers at
cmyers8@nd.edu