Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Belles prep for final home game

The Belles take on Olivet in their last home game of the season tonight.

This will be the second matchup of the season between the Belles (7-16, 5-9 MIAA) and the Comets (20-3, 12-2) as Saint Mary’s tries to redeem itself after a last-second loss to Olivet on Jan. 22.

Saint Mary’s sophomore guard Maddie Kohler pressures the ball  during the Belles’ 95-68 loss to Calvin on Jan. 15.
Saint Mary’s sophomore guard Maddie Kohler pressures the ball during the Belles’ 95-68 loss to Calvin on Jan. 15.

“The last time we played Olivet, we lost by two points on a last-second shot,” Belles coach Jennifer Henley said. “We look forward to the challenges of playing Olivet.”

Belles sophomore guard Maddie Kohler tied the first meeting with 10 seconds on the clock, but Olivet earned the 70-68 victory with a layup with 0.4 left.

With the chance to analyze their errors from the previous matchup, the Belles now know exactly what they need to address on the court in their second look at Olivet, Henley said.

“We certainly need to do a better job on the boards this time around,” she said. “We gave up too many second-chance points to them.”

The Belles have improved overall on the boards since the last time they faced the Comets. The Belles head into this game off a 72-61 victory over Alma on Saturday in which the Belles outscored the Scots 16-9 over the last 6:30 of the game.

The Belles will bring the powerhouse offensive unit of sophomore forward Krista Knapke, junior forward Ariana Paul and senior guard Shanlynn Bias, who combined for 63 points against Alma, into today’s matchup.

While the Belles hope to continue this offensive trend, Olivet looks to hold its offensive ground, as well.

Olivet senior guards Chelsea Ciba and Kelsey Campbell lead the attack, while 6-foot-4 junior center Stefanie Lang has helped maintain a very strong inside game. Ciba, Campbell and Lang average 13.9, 11.7 and 20.4 points per game, respectively. The Comets have won four consecutive games and 15 of their last 16 contests.

The Belles will attempt to slow down Olivet in their last home game of the season tonight at 7:30 p.m. at Angela Athletic Facility.

Contact Kit Loughran at kloughr1@nd.edu