Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Bengal Bouts kick off with preliminary round

Bengal Bouts: Opening Night, By Emmet Farnan
Garrity "Biscuit" McOskar takes on Ezra Kim in the opening night of Bengal Bouts.

Keith “The Chief” Loh def. Isaiah “Frank the Tank” Lee

The night’s opening fight went to the Loh, who used his combinations to claim a unanimous victory. The first round began slowly, with both fighters cautiously probing each other with jabs. Loh landed a few hooks to the head and seized control in the second stanza with crushing one-two combinations and devastating hooks to Lee’s head. In the final round, Lee mounted a brief barrage of jabs, but Loh responded with enough hard shots to wrap up the unanimous decision.

Juan “Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish” Alvarez def. Ned “Swerte DE” Vara

Alvarez overwhelmed Vara with hard body shots to take the fight by unanimous decision. Both fighters landed only a few blows in the first round as Alvarez danced around Vara’s jabs. Vara continued to jab at Alvarez in the second round, but the stayed light on his feet and dodged most shots before getting a few combinations of his own. In the final round Alvarez continued to work his way inside on Vara and landed several left and right hooks to give him the win.

Jack “Attack Jaiclet” Taiclet def. Jack “Can’t Hold Me Back” Guilfoile

The sophomores battled back and forth, but Taiclet used his height advantage to pull away with a the unanimous win. Both fighters came out with flurries of jabs to the head and body. Taiclet used his left jab and right hook to dictate the action as the round progressed. Guilfoile tried to work his way inside, but the sophomore used several explosive hooks to keep his shorter opponent at bay. Taiclet controlled the third round with his longer reach and earned the unanimous decision.

Garret “FedEx” Schmelling def. Phillip “The Thrill” Stenger

Schmelling dominated the fight to earn the win in a referee stopped contest against Stenger. Both fighters came out swinging, as Stenger tried to control the bout with his lengthy jab, but Schmelling fought it off and got inside on his opponent’s body, pounding him with violent combinations. After a brief stoppage for Stenger to get treatment for a nosebleed he tried to rally, but Schmelling continued to control the bout with authoritative body punches before the referee stopped the contest after round two, giving Schmelling the victory.

Edward “Armagetti” Smith def. David “Different” Mattia

Smith used his stamina and conditioning to tire Mattia and take the victory by unanimous decision. The fight opened with Mattia dancing around Smith and peppering his body with hard jabs. Smith rallied towards the end of the first round, backing Mattia against the ropes and landing shots to his head. In the second round, Smith kept the momentum by pushing Mattia against the ropes and jabbing at his head. Smith succeeded in bloodying Mattia’s nose in the third round as fatigue started to set in for both fighters. In the final minute of the fight, Smith connected on two hard shots to the face to put the finishing touches on his unanimous win.

Ryan Dunn def. Aidan “The Last Gladiator” Coronel

It was a short and bloody bout between the Dunn and Coronel, as Dunn stayed on the offensive to take the win in the third round after the referee stopped the contest. Coronel came out on the defensive and Dunn took advantage by pounding away at his head and body. Coronel blocked most of the punches and he landed few of his own. In the second round, Dunn continued to hammer away at Coronel, combining head and body shots to pick up the pace and intensity of the fight. The referee separated the fighters several times as Dunn bloodied Coronel’s nose, before the fight was stopped in the third round.

“Sloppy” Joe Guilfoile def. Frank “The Tank” Dizenzo

In a hotly contested fight that went all the way to the final seconds, Guilfoile won by split decision over Dizenzo. In the first round Guilfoile and Dizenzo traded body and head shots and danced around the ring. Dizenzo landed a few strong shots to the head at the very end of the round, but both fighters started the second round on the defensive. Guilfoile rallied to end the round with some hard jabs to the face. In the decisive third round, Guilfoile landed several punches to the head that ultimately gave him the split decision.

Conor “The Invisible Hand” Durkin Def. Fernando “Olaf” Garcia

The bout started off in a seesaw battle between Garcia and Durkin, with Durkin taking the match by split decision. Both fighters came out tentatively, but Durkin settled in faster, landing early blows. Durkin finished the first round strongly and continued to dominate the second. Garcia dominated the third, picking his punches selectively and landing some big blows. In the end it was not enough, and Durkin just squeaked by for the split decision.

Alex Bogucki-Barak Def. Arun Nadar

Momentum swung wildly between Nadar and Barak before Barak took control in the final round to win by unanimous decision. Nadar started stronger in the first round, landing some quick hits and dodging flailing punches from Barak. At the end of the first round Barak started to come into his own, inflicting heavy damage on his opponent with sharp jabs and crisp combinations. The second round saw both boxers trading hard shots, but a few big hits from Barak gave him momentum, which he carried over to dominate the third, earning the win unanimously.

Connor “Khalippur” Chelsky Def. James “Boxmayer” Bachmayer

Bachmayer came out swinging, but Chelsky wore down his opponent to win by unanimous decision. Bachmayer was on the offensive early in the first round and quickly established himself with a few heavy punches to Chelsky’s body. Chelsky began to claw back into the bout at the end of the first, and matched Bachmayer for most of the second period, landing several punches. With newfound energy, Chelsky put Bachmayer on the defensive in the third round, overwhelming his opponent and winning by unanimous decision.

Daniel “Get At Me” Meehan Def. John “Saxman” Rieth

Meehan was quick out of the blocks in this bout, establishing an early edge as Rieth struggled to gain any momentum. The second round saw Meehan step it up even further with a combination of quick punches, although Rieth fought back valiantly with a few hard counters. In the final round, Meehan kept control of the fight and won by unanimous decision.

Jim “The Fiend” Boyle Def. Liam “Trooper” Chan

Both fighters came out strong in the first round, trading blows in what was a conservative start to an eagerly awaited fight. However, Boyle began to get the upper late into the first round, landing several punches in succession. Chan fought back well in the second round and began to dictate the fight toward the end of the round, but it wasn’t enough to stop Boyle, who regained control in the third. Boyle edged Chan for the split-decision win.

Sean Himel Def. Ian “The Wright Stuff” Cronin

The first round was evenly matched, with each fighter landing punches and countering the other fighter’s blows. Himel struggled at the beginning of the second as Cronin began to get some momentum going, putting together some hard-hitting combinations. However, Himel finally got into a rhythm late in the second, mounting a resurgence. Cronin took the majority of heavy blows in the third, and Himel took the fight by a split decision.

Austin Cartier def. Mateos “Caveman” Matigian

Cartier came out on the offensive, landing shots to Matigian’s head before using his reach advantage to throw the occasional jab at the end of round one. Cartier used the same strategy in round two, landing body punches to start the round. Matigian attempted to counter, but Cartier landed two hard counterpunches before the fight went to the final round. Matigian came out of the break strong, charging Cartier and landing multiple shots in the first 30 seconds of the round. It wasn’t enough, and Cartier held on to a split decision win.

Conor “The Wild Man” Douglass def. Andres “Gio” Lincon 

Both fighters started the fight throwing a flurry of punches, with Douglass connecting on a shot in the opening round that had Lincon bleeding. Lincon started the second round throwing big right hooks but only connected on a few. Douglass focused on throwing jabs to keep Lincon off balance before attacking with hooks of his own. Lincon seemed to tire in the final round as Douglass connected on multiple jab-hook combinations to win by split decision.

Joe Sulentic def. Nate Stone

Sulentic and Stone both employed defensive strategies to start the fight, dodging and dancing around the ring. Stone missed on a few straight rights to begin the second round, giving Sulentic the opportunity to land two strong rights of his own, one of which drew blood. After the stop, Stone was a precise fighter, landing well-timed jabs to Sulentic, but ultimately wasn’t able to dodge enough of Sulentic’s jabs and straight right combos, as Sulentic took the fight by split decision.

Joe “Trix are for kids” Brogan def. Casey “Porkchop” McCaffrey

Brogan and McCaffrey started slow but quickly ratcheted up the intensity as Brogan finished with a split-decision victory. In the first round, each boxer successfully ducked or dodged the worst of the other’s blows. McCaffrey had some trouble landing his counterblows. The match heated up as time went on, with McCaffrey briefly backing Brogan against the ropes. Brogan landed some solid hits and evaded several uppercuts by McCaffrey. Strong hits in the last round were enough for Brogan to win in a split decision.

Collin “Me Maybe” Corcoran def. Joe “The Howard St. Food Mart” Monardo

Corcoran took down Monardo in a fast-paced fight by unanimous decision. The two seniors’ speed was clear from the outset, but the initial flurry of punches from both fighters did not seem to do any significant damage. Corcoran gained the upper hand near the end of the first round with some hard shots and got inside on Monardo to land several strong punches during the second round. Monardo tried to rally early on in the final round but Corcoran pulled away for the win by unanimous decision.

Scott “Bootstrap” Rousseau def. John Pearl

Rousseau and Pearl fought hard and pushed each other to the final bell before Rousseau took the match by split decision. Both boxers began with several vicious combinations. Pearl took some major hits to the head while going for Rousseau’s body. The second round consisted of some artful dodges by Rousseau until Pearl was able to knock him to the ground with a strong hit. Rousseau bounced back, locking Pearl in a bear hug before the round’s end. The third round was more of the same, with both boxers getting in several hits. The two had to be separated twice, but Rousseau won by split decision.

Michael “Greasy” Grasso def. Joshua Smith

Grasso started strong and held on through the second and third rounds for the unanimous decision victory over Smith. Grasso began with several jabs to the head and upper body. The second round started much better for Smith, as he came out with energy and engaged Grasso almost immediately with several heavy punches. Grasso brought Smith into a headlock and got some solid jabs in before the round ended. In the third round, Grasso had some strong counters to Smith’s shots, landing a few punches to the head of his opponent. This proved to be enough for Grasso to claim the win by unanimous decision.

David “No Way, No” Howe def. Chris “The Second Amendment” Delillo

Howe had a significant height advantage over Delillo and used it to his advantage for the split-decision win. Early on in the first round, Howe backed Delillo against the ropes with his longer reach before Delillo forced him back. In the second round, Howe seemed to target Delillo’s body and hit home several times, though Delillo was able to land a shot to the head. In the final round, both fighters landed some violent hits to the head of his opponent. Howe’s height gained him the better edge of the split decision.

Charles “Chuck” Rollino def. Patrick “The Fool” Folley

Power proved to be the key factor in this bout, as Rollino fought his way to a split-decision win over Folley. Folley hit Rollino hard in the head midway into the first round and pushed him into the corner during the second, but Rollino extricated himself fairly quickly. Folley landed several blows to the head but seemed to lose energy as time wore on. Rollino made a major comeback in the third round as Folley exhibited signs of exhaustion, giving him a win by split decision.

Trevor “Sting” Stevens def. Nick “The Irish Cowboy” Keleher

Keleher came out swinging before Stevens landed a slew of right hooks to end the first round. He followed by landing multiple blows on the defensive Keleher in the second round. Stevens again took the offensive in the third round, cornering Keleher early and finishing strong on the tiring Keleher to win by unanimous decision.

Brett “Italian Ice” Sassetti def. David Jensen

Sassetti, a defending champion, was quick on his feet early as he landed a series of jabs on Jenson. The bout featured some good back-and-forth between the boxers before Sassetti knocked Jensen to the ground with multiple right hooks. Although Jensen came out stronger in the third round, Sassetti knocked him to the ground, killing Jensen’s momentum and securing himself a win by unanimous decision.

Melchior “Il Lupo” Perella-Savarese def. Nicholas “Stud” Walter

Perella-Savarese and Walter fought an even first round with neither boxer landing many punches. In the second round, Perella-Savarese was able to back Walter into a corner, landing multiple right hooks. Perella-Savarese continued his strong performance in the final round, going on the offensive on his way to winning by unanimous decision.

Eric “I Still Can’t” Reed def. Clayton “C Dawg” Conroy

Reed demonstrated his quickness early, landing solid right hooks on his opponent. Conroy came back strong to end the first round before Reed beat the bell with another crushing right hook. Conroy started with the upper hand in the second round before being knocked back against the ropes. Both boxers showed great bursts of energy in the third round before Reed tired, but Reed managed to hang on for a win by split decision.

Justin “Shady” McGrady def. Mark “Your Calendars “ Waguespack 

Both boxers showed great quickness and footwork early on in an even first round. Waguespack was able to land a few jabs in the second round before being examined by the medical staff, and McGrady was declared the winner after the referee stopped the fight.

Phil “ Bald Eagle” Mannelly def. Andrew “Brink” Brinkerhoff

Mannelly relied on his quickness to help him land a series of blows early on before the match evened out. Mannelly came on very strong in the second round and landed jabs to Brinkerhoff’s head and core. Brinkerhoff turned it up a notch in the third round, but it wasn’t enough, as he fell to Mannelly in a unanimous decision.

Cassidy “I’m No Lady” Laux def. Seamus “Famous” Creedon

Both boxers were aggressive out of the gate before Laux was able to get Creedon on the ground. Laux used a series of hooks to put him in the driver’s seat and stayed on the offensive with multiple blows to Creedon’s core. Laux was declared the winner when the fight was stopped in the first round due to injury.

Chip Blood def. Kieran Carroll

Blood started slow but picked up steam as Carroll tired in the later rounds. Carroll bounced around the ring confidently early in the first round, landing a number of fast combinations and a resounding right to the head of Blood. Carroll’s strong start caught up to him, as he appeared to lose steam, giving his opponent a chance to counter with a combination of right hooks and jabs. Blood completed the comeback in the third round using body shots and left jab-right hook combinations to score the split decision victory.

Garrity “Biscuit” McOsker def. Ezra Kim

This bout opened with a slow pace before McOsker seized control to defeat Kim by a unanimous decision. The first round began with the two opponents circling each other for the first 20 seconds of the match. McOsker began opening up, using a dangerous left hand to land several hard shots to the body of his opponent. McOscker had success with the same controlled approach in the second and third, landing solid right hooks to counter Kim’s swings. Kim could not figure out a way past McOskar’s defenses, leading to the unanimous decision victory.

Paul “Pride of the 415” Toboni def. Luke “The Crimson Fountain” Miller

Toboni came out swinging and never slowed down, earning the victory over Miller by unanimous decision. Toboni punched high early on in the fight, landing several combinations to the head of Miller, who countered by concentrating on Toboni’s body. Toboni used strong left jabs early in the second round to open up his opponent. He eventually transformed the jabs into deadly combinations as the round wore on. Toboni began mixing in dangerous upper cuts on his way to the victory as the match drew to a close.

Gage “The Heart-Break Kid” O’Connell def. Skyler “I’ll Make A Man Outta” Hughes

O’Connell hammered relentlessly away at the taller Hughes and forced the referee to stop the contest in the third round, giving him the win. O’Connell’s attack started the first round with wild hooks flying, landing enough blows to put Hughes on the defensive. Hughes tried to use both hands to shield his face but left his body open to blows. O’Connell kept up the pressure in the second and third, eventually knocking Hughes down, late in the third before the referee stopped the fight to give O’Connell the victory.

Matthew “The Bond Hall Brawler” Schaefer def. Kevin Kim

Schaefer rallied after a slow start to claim a split decision victory over Kim. The two fighters circled each other at the beginning of the match, throwing feeler jabs that hit air. Kim was the first to connect, as his jabs cleared the way for some rights to the head. In the second round, both boxers came out with a much faster pace, swinging and landing punches. Kim began to tire in the third round, which opened the door for a comeback by Schaefer, who used a couple of hard combinations to secure the split decision.

Josh “Pride of the South” Whelan def. Michael “The Moose” Lucente

This showdown went to the smaller Whelan, who took the fight to Lucente by unanimous decision. Whelan spent the first round working his way underneath most of his opponent’s jabs. Whelan continued to be aggressive in the second round, putting Lucente on his heels and landing a couple of strong right hooks. Whelan put Lucente on the ropes early in the third round, alternating blows to his opponent’s head and body on his way to a unanimous decision victory.

Jason Ellinwood def. Calvin “Bender” Campopiano

This bout was dominated by the much taller Ellinwood, who won by unanimous decision over Campopiano. Ellinwood worked his height advantage to land jabs to the head of his opponent while staying out of reach. Campopiano could not find a way inside Ellinwood for most of the fight. Ellinwood was able to use a second-round combination of left and right jabs to Campopiano’s head that threw Campopiano off balance. Campopiano tried to throw himself into Ellinwood’s body but ended up taking more of a beating as Ellinwood cruised his way to victory.

Calvin Hemington def. J.D. “Saturday” Zarate

Hemington landed several heavy combinations and controlled the fight from start to finish to win over Zarate when the referee stopped the contest in the second round. Swinging early and often, Hemington used his length advantage to establish himself in the first round. Zarate responded early in the second round, but Hemington absorbed the onslaught and countered with one of his own, eventually working Zarate into the ropes. Hemington continued the pressure into the third round, once again putting Zarate into the ropes causing the referee to stop the contest late in the round.

Sebastian “El Papa” de la Casas def. CJ “The Rated-R Superstar” Pruner

De la Casas gave his fans a victory by unanimous decision over Pruner. The boxers began the match in a fury of flying arms and legs, with de la Casas cornering Pruner and connecting on his opponent’s body, to the delight of his boisterous fans in the corner. De la Casas continued to pound on Pruner for the next two rounds, knocking him down once in the second round on the way to a unanimous decision victory.

Patrick Shea def. Thomas Hughes “Your Daddy”

Shea made use of his quick feet and fast high-low jab combinations to hold on for a unanimous decision victory over Hughes. Shea’s hard punches established himself against Hughes, knocking him to the mat early in the first round. Hughes came out more offensive in the second round but failed to land any significant blow, and Shea came back with a hard left hook to regain the advantage. Hughes strung together a couple of strong combinations late in the final round, but it was not enough to prevent Shea from advancing by unanimous decision.

Brian “Rowdy” Roddy def. Hunter White

The much taller Roddy used his length to his advantage and cruised to a victory by unanimous decision over White. Both boxers opened up early in a high-flying first round. White could not seem to find a way to get within striking range his opponent, having to lean into Roddy to try and land some body blows. Roddy was able to land most of his shots to the head of White, the deciding factor as he advanced with a unanimous-decision victory.

Mike “The Stache” Flanigan def. Christopher Stepien

Stepien came out strong against Flanigan, but Flanigan worked his way back and forced the referee to stop the contest in the second round. Stepien started the first round with several hard body-head combinations that forced Flanigan into a defensive position. The second round started in a similar fashion, but Flanigan quickly seized control, knocking down Stepien four times with left hooks before the referee stopped the fight to give Flannigan the second-round victory.

Eric "P-rex" Palutsis def. John "Gantran" Szatkowski

Palutsis and Szatkowski started off the first round with quick offensive attacks. Szatkowski was able to land a right blow to Palutsis's head, drawing blood, but Palutsis pushed through and continued to efficiently make his offense work to his advantage. Palutsis allowed Szatkowski to hit him with combinations of hooks to his body to start the second round, countering with powerful combination head shots to conclude the second. The third round was a back-and-forth battle, but in the end, Palutsis was able to come away with the victory in a unanimous decision.

Alex "Turtle" Jirschele def. Alex "Easy" McIntyre

Jirschele used a flurry of quick strong jabs to gain control, knocking McIntyre to the ground early in the first round. Jirschele was able to control the ring with quick feet, keeping McIntyre in the middle. Moving into the second round, McIntyre tired, allowing Jirschele to hit clean uppercuts. Both fighters slowed down the pace of the matchup in the third round, but McIntyre was able to take advantage of Jirschele's low energy by hitting him with hard right jabs to the head. Nonetheless, Jirschele was victorious by unanimous decision.

Zack "Bedrock" Flint def Matthew "The Goon" DiDonato

Flint and DiDonato showcased their speed from the start of the match. While DiDonato quickly threw punches, he wasn't able to land them efficiently. Flint dodged all jabs and combinations and countered with powerful body blows throughout the rest of the first round. Flint continued to make DiDonato pay by hitting a multitude of right hooks to the head. The referee was forced to call the match after Flint hit DiDonato cleanly in the temple countless times.

Brian "Cheese" Willis def Sam "Little Bear" Martin

Martin hit Willis with a barrage of strikes early, forcing Willis to struggle on the ropes. Using his small stature, Martin was able to control Willis's movements using his quickness. The second round featured more energy between the two fighters. Both threw wild punches at one another but rarely connected. In the third round, Willis was able to take control of the match, overpowering Martin. Willis struck Martin with a right hook to send him straight to the ground in the third round, winning the fight unanimously.

Justin "Penta" Tabit def Jack "Shadow Recruit" Ryan

Tabit was able to dominate this matchup against Ryan from start to finish, putting together a myriad of combination strikes to Ryan's body and forcing him towards the ropes and corners through the majority of the match. Each time Ryan attempted to pick up momentum, his defense was penetrated by Tabit's blows, and, in the end, Tabit walked away with unanimous decision.

Jack Considine def Jack "J.G Three" Griffin

Considine was very precise on when and where he decided to take his strikes on Griffin. He waited until Griffin was the most vulnerable, which was whenever Griffin needed to recover after bombarding Considine with an erratic array of punches. Through the first and second rounds Griffin was unbalanced with his form as he tried to take the offensive. Considine focused on punishing Griffin's head from the first round and carried it over to the third round, when the referee stopped contest to give Considine the victory.

James "The Iceman" Hodgens def Eric "TT Showbiz" Krakowiak

Hodgens aggressively attacked with combinations of jabs and hooks to Krakowiak from the first bell. Krakowiak was forced into a defensive technique for the first round as Hodgens focused all of his efforts into damaging Krakowiak's body. It looked like Hodgens was going to continue the onslaught in the second round as one of his blows sent Krakowiak to the ground. Krakowiak met Hodgen's offense with intensity, forcing Hodgens to tire out going into the third round. The comeback fell short, and Hodgens won the close matchup with a unanimous decision.

Lucas Sullivan def Luke "I am Your Father" Pardue

Sullivan maneuvered around the ring defensively as Pardue took several hooks and jabs toward Sullivan's body. As the match wore on, Sullivan consistently broke through Pardue's parries and landed several headshots. In the third round, both fighters were fatigued, but Sullivan was able to give the extra push to land decisive blows to Pardue's head and win him the match by unanimous decision.

Jack Corrigan def Sandy "Back Breaker" McShea

Corrigan was able to put the momentum on his side and dominate the matchup from start to finish. McShea kept it close early by showing a stifling defense that would not allow any strikes to land, but Corrigan eventually broke through and hit McShea with a strong combination of hooks and jabs to McShea's head. McShea never recovered, as Corrigan walked away with the unanimous decision.