Tuesday, May 7, 2024

The best is yet to come

As a second semester senior, there is definitely a heighted sense of time, both passed and remaining, as we get into the swing of the “last hurrah”. From the countdown app on my phone proclaiming days until spring break to the countless Facebook album titles creatively avoiding the word “senior” it is as though time is constantly “in the way” or at least a depressing reminder that all good things must come to an end.

I cannot tell you how many times one of my residents has asked if I am sad about this imminent conclusion. For them, there is still plenty of time to hang with friends, make mistakes, and procrastinate on homework. As underclassmen, though reality exists, it is far enough into the future that they can afford to hit the snooze button at least once. Being a senior means that we are one step closer to ‘real life’ which, for some, is just as horrifying as recognizing someone during the Bun Run.

Easy as it is to join in on the lamenting of when it will ever be socially acceptable to [insert stereotypical college activity] again, one is only contributing to an increasingly prevalent problem. Instead of reveling in the monumentality of the mundane, we are focused on the need to overhype and underappreciate. If we allow ourselves to think of this as the prime of our existence, it will be. Think of all your high school classmates who unfortunately peaked at ripe age of 16. Woof. Why should that be any different now? If you ask me, missing from the phrase, “this is the best four years of your life”, is the ever-crucial word: “yet”.

This summer, as I was preparing for my last year here, my internship mentor gave me a really good piece of advice. Instead of getting caught up on “this is the last first 9:30 class in O’Shag on a Tuesday”, just enjoy it. Actually listen and take interest in what is going on around you so that instead of being depressed when it is gone, you are excited to use what you gained some day in the future. Stop crying over the fact that you got an email notification about graduation plans and start making plans with your friends to tailgate with their parents that weekend. Time is going to pass no matter what; no social media revelation is going to change that.

Instead of being upset about it, get excited about everything this University has (hopefully) prepared you for. If you are not ready, who cares. Do you really think that freshman down the hall is prepared for everything this school is going to throw at them the next few years? So next time you check how many days are left, stay calm. You knew this was going to happen and it most certainly is not the end.