Class council tickets announce platforms

The election committee of the Judicial Council approved six tickets to run for Class Councils. The tickets for Senior Class Council and Junior Class Council will run unopposed, and four tickets will campaign for Sophomore Class Council. Elections take place Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., according to the Judicial Council. 

News_Graphic_ClassCouncil
Emily Hoffman | The Observer

Senior Class Council

Martin Walsh, Briggs Hoyt, Devin Nagendran and Robert Reed

Martin Walsh, Briggs Hoyt, Devin Nagendran and Robert Reed hope to utilize their collective experience to create a memorable senior year for their class by organizing events to bring its members together.

“For next year, our main goal is to plan memorable class events that are rooted in unity and service,” Walsh, the ticket’s presidential candidate, said. “It is our hope that these events not only promote class unity but also foster a stronger class growth as we journey through our final year here at Notre Dame.

“We hope to build on past successful events of Junior Class Council as well as allow the class as a whole to be more integral in determining the types of events we plan.”

Walsh said the ticket’s main goal is to provide class events that promote senior class camaraderie and integrate the South Bend community. He said they hope to plan a class Silver Hawks game and social events that showcase the South Bend music scene.

Junior Class Council

Zach Waterson, Michael Fliotsos, Andrew Stoker and Miranda Herrera

Zach Waterson, Michael Fliotsos, Andrew Stoker and Miranda Herrera plan to center their Junior Class Council administration on collaboration, communication and quality.

“Junior Class Council is in a unique position, as many of our classmates will be abroad during at least part of our term,” Waterson said. “Our goal is to envision events, projects and resources that strengthen the unity of the class of 2016 and ensure that our classmates feel connected, even across continents.”

Waterson said the ticket wanted to focus on collaboration.

“We want to extend the Junior Class Council's presence in event programming on campus,” Waterson said. “For example, we want to collaborate with next year's Sophomore Class Council for the second annual Great Gatsby dance, hopefully cementing it as a tradition.”

Sophomore Class Council

Thomas Davis, Grace Maxwell, Benjamin Cote and Joanie Hogan

As class officers, Tommy Davis, Grace Maxwell, Benjamin Cote and Joanie Hogan would link to be a link between sophomores and other people and organizations on campus.

“We see our place as more of a bridge for people who have ideas, but they can’t get them to the right people,” Green said. “We see our place as trying to be that bridge between either the administration, the judicial council, upperclassmen, pretty much anyone who needs to hear these ideas.”

Green said he and his ticket want to help people with specific ideas bring them to fruition, as well as organize events that connect the different classes.

“One thing is that we don’t have as many events that link with other classes, and so I’d try to work with some of the upperclassmen to try to build a broader community instead of just the sophomore class,” he said.

Andrew Galo, Michaela McInerney, Vincent Vangaever and Daniel Barabasi

The ticket of Andrew Galo, Michaela McInerney, Vincent Vangaever and Daniel Barabasi is attempting to ensure student government hears the voices of rising sophomores next year.

“We believe that the sophomore executive board should be the first line of communication between the sophomore class and the University,” Galo said. “We will make sure every complaint or suggestion about residential, academic, social or spiritual life is heard.

“If we cannot directly solve it, we will consult the student body president and vice president, and we will make sure you are heard.”

Galo said the ticket would also promote social outreach projects in South Bend and the social aspects of campus life. A specific initiative of the group would be making the Great Gatsby dance an annual event.

Editor’s Note: Barabasi is a Scene staff writer

Andrew Green, Ned Vogel, Francesca Mancuso and Matt Barratt

Current freshmen class officers Andrew Green, Ned Vogel, Francesca Mancuso and Matt Barratt want to continue their work by encouraging community in the sophomore class.

“What class council’s all about is getting unity and community for the entire class, and so what we really want to do is push for that more, by doing all the different events that we did this year but more off campus next year and focusing in on the service aspect and the social aspect — making sure that everyone feels like they’re included in this class,” Green said.

The ticket’s ideas include a class trip to Cedar Point, improving the class website to include events and employment resources, organizing events with the Career Center and other events like a battle of the bands.

Noemi Ventilla, Michael Markel, Neil Joseph and Eva Niklinska

As class officers, Noemi Ventilla, Michael Markel, Neil Joseph and Eva Niklinska would like to increase the connections between the Sophomore Class Council, other student government organizations and the student body.

“We would set up office hours or hold monthly town hall meetings where students could voice their opinions, ask questions, volunteer their help or make suggestions to the Sophomore Class Council,” Ventilla said. “We want the sophomore class to be familiar enough with us to feel comfortable sharing their ideas and needs.”

Ventilla said the other students on her ticket, all of whom currently serve on Freshman Class Council, would like to establish service events in South Bend and organize free skates and a dance marathon.

“We would like to first receive feedback from the sophomore class as to their interest,” she said.